Artificial sphincter

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone had the artificial spincter installed and does it work well. Also the mesh. These are the 2 things my surgeon is considering.

Had the mesh sling done in 2009, worked OK for about 3 years. In 2103 I had the Artificial Urinary Sphincter (AUS)implanted and work flawlessly for 8 years until the area around the cuff eroded. The AUS had to be removed and a new one implanted 5 months later.

@Jlong53

While the male urethral sling surgery uses a mesh - it is referred to as a sling to keep it separate from the "mesh" lawsuits.

I had the sling surgery 8 months ago and it is working good. I do leak about a quarter of an ounce at night due to nighttime (sleep) medications.

Look at mine and Larryw61 profiles and scroll down to xyz's (xyz is user name) Active Threads. The Show More Thread button at the bottom of the page will display more threads. Scan through the title.

The search function only seems to go back 8 months. Searches require 4 characters - you can not search for AUS.

I have shared this story before here, and I must be very lucky, but after hearing stories about what was supposed to happen to me post surgery, (leaks, diapers, slings, mesh etc.) I made the statement to many people close to me that I would rather be dead. After watching friends and family members die from one cancer or another, 3 from Prostate cancer, which I had poking its way out of my gland. I decided that was not the way I wanted to die in 2020. I was waking up with a soaked pad every morning after the catheter was removed, and made myself a promise that this had to end. I found out that my wife was taking my prosta Genix. for HER urinary incontinence, and it was working, and SHE wasn't born with a prostate gland. I started taking it again, and the pad soaking stopped, and my control came back exponentially fast. (I was 73 when I had the radical) I still take the prosta genix, and have not heard from anyone here who tried it that it didn't help. I don't have the confidence (in my holding power) that I used to have, and wearing a pad is just practical with trips and events with questionable available facilities, but I would like everyone who faces this to not give up without a fight. Beat the Cancer first, then beat this....

I have the artificial urinary sphincter. I love it.. Game changer.. Gave me my life back. I feel almost normal again.

I have had the AUS for 2 years. I had the first one installed at UVA. It worked but leaked under abdominal pressure. So UVA said I had to much abdominal pressure and they could put in a stronger pressure balloon in. After talking with a couple of doctors who installs the AUS, they told me the cuff was too large. So a year later I had Duke fix it. They put a smaller cuff in and works a whole lot better. I still have some urine come out when I sneeze but my life is a whole lot better with the AUS. I still wear a pad for just in case, but so far so good. I am 55 years old. I recommend the AUS to anyone who has leaking problems. I also go to gym and it does a great job. I think if I had a stronger pressure balloon, I would not have any leaks when sneezing hard. I will do that next time when this unit has to be replaced.

Thanks for information. I’m a lot older (74) and 4+ years from robotic. Was in excellent shape until COVID caught up with me and wife 2 weeks ongoing symptoms. Don’t want to cope with erosion of cuff, resurgeries, down time, etc., and still need pad(s). I need 1-2 pads/day depending upon activity, and is more tolerable for me. Kind of fed up with the medical world and the money involved.

Stryder, 1-2 pads/day depending on activity is not too bad. An AUS is meant for men that have more severe incontinence. I went from a male sling procedure, that helped for a few years and then when the incontinence got worse, I opted for the AUS. I couldn't lead a normal life without it. My first one lasted 8 years and last year I had my second one implanted.