Artificial sphincter for severe incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Can people please share their experience with artificial sphincter surgery. Also need to know who is the best surgeon in the country; I don't mind travelling.

Thanks.

I had the artificial sphincter done at UVA in Charlottesville, Va. in 2020. It was a game changer. I had one problem is that it leaked under a little bit of ab pressure. So I went to Duke in Durham, NC and they put a smaller sleeve around my uretha. I Did that 2 months ago.. Seems to be working a lot better.. When I sneeze some urine still comes out, but its a lot better now with the smaller sleeve. I highly recommend it. After having my prostate removed, urine came out all the time. I had to wear a condom catheter all the time except when I was sleeping...

jsvames said:
I had the artificial sphincter done at UVA in Charlottesville, Va. in 2020. It was a game changer. I had one problem is that it leaked under a little bit of ab pressure. So I went to Duke in Durham, NC and they put a smaller sleeve around my uretha. I Did that 2 months ago.. Seems to be working a lot better.. When I sneeze some urine still comes out, but its a lot better now with the smaller sleeve. I highly recommend it. After having my prostate removed, urine came out all the time. I had to wear a condom catheter all the time except when I was sleeping...

I have been using it for nearly 10 months. Bit of inconvenience to put it on, takes about 10 minutes for all set up after shower but then stays good rest of the day.

I void in the catheter/leg bag every 2 hours (to train bladder although it has not been trained as yet!!)and upon each urge.

I use 500 ml bag except when I go out then use larger (700 ml) bag. Keeps me dry all day. Very discreet; no one sees it. Empty it out in the toilet bowl when it is about 300-400 ml full.

I take it off (another 10 minutes) after dinner and then just use diaper during sleep with mild-moderate leak by morning.

Planning to get artificial sphincter next year; procrastinating - just worried about the complications of surgery. Quoted complication rate as high as 10% despite surgeons doing it for over 50 years!!

Had the artificial surgery and have been in pain ever since the day it was installed by Dr. Steven Petreau Mayo Clinic. The device works but I have severe testicle and lower back pain going on 1 year. Mayo urology threw me under the bus and referred me to neurology. They were zero help and would only give Meloxicam for pain. I have had several nerve blocks with no relief. I would have been better off without the device.

Please share your good and bad experience with artificial sphincter surgery. Also, I would like to get some recommendations for a top notch surgeon for this type of surgery in New York, New Jersey, as well as anywhere else in the country.

Thanks a lot.

Jsoules47 said:
Would like feed back on condom catheter. Please

I was getting the condom catheters from a medical website.. At first I ordered them on amazon.
I had to order a few sizes and makers before I found the one that fit well and came off easy at the end of the day. I had a leg bag that attached to my ankle.. I had a hose that went from the leg bag to the condom catheter.. I did not use the hose that was provided with the leg bag. I found a better one on amazon. It was more flimsy and would bend easier with my knee. I had a hose clamp that sticks to your leg to hold the hose in place going up your leg..
You can only wear this for the day... If you wear it longer, you will get a rash or sore. I also put some Desitin on the tip of my penis so I did not get a rash.
If you would like a list of the manufactures that I used and where I bought them at, I can provide this.

Today, August 19th marks three years since my cancer surgery and AUS implant. I am alive, the dragon was slayed, and while there are some ramifications for what I have done to myself, I am blessed beyond anything I deserve!

Over the past three years I have lost my prostate, my brother and my dog, so I thought today would be an appropriate date to release a small 98 page story of my thousand days.

I did this project over the past 6-8 months to archive my remembrances, but more so to give a real, first person view of mens prostate issues in the hope of education and that it could maybe help other folks who could be making their own decisions, if they are unfortunately facing the same.

As I say in the intro, my story is embarrassing, very explicit, and an extremely personal subject. It is hard to talk about, much less write about or publish to the world, but I felt obligated to do so and to share, so as to help others who could, at some time be facing the same.

This was a fun project, but a path I do not wish on anyone, I am posting this in the hope that you will get off ten bucks (the profits go to prostate charity), read it and then leave a review here and on Amazon (hopefully positive, or at least honest) so as to help promote. Then I hope you will share it with others in your network (especially men).

Hopefully, it can do some good.
Click here to see it

BTW, I am scared to death and can’t believe I actually released this, but I have faith that a real story can help and the thing about faith is, if you don't have it, you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary.