Anyone undergo a cystoscopy?

Archives1

Staff member
Hello all,
I have an appointment later today with my urologist whom I have been seeing for about three years for nocturnal enurisis. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when I wake up wet. Sometimes soaked through clothing and bedding. Sometimes it will even happen two to three times a night. She put me on Myrbetriq which worked ok for about a year but now it is happening even while taking that medicine. So far I have no official diagnosis and she is unable to tell me why this is happening. Also, I do all the “routine” things - no beverages at least 3 hrs before bed.

My question is have any of you ever had WW cystoscope? I keep seeing it in my research as a test that a urologist would turn to in my situation but she has not mentioned it. I plan to ask her at my appointment.

A systoscopy is only them inserting a camera up thru the urethra to view the bladder. It most likely won't give any answers for your issues either tbh. I have a systoscopy done every 9-12 months when they do the botox injections into my bladder sphincter. It is mainly to make sure there isn't any visible damage from my bladder overfilling between the injections being performed.

Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you Doc is taking a look at the structure of your bladder, sphincters and ureters etc. just to get a baseline on your bladder health. They can also urodynamic studies once in there.
I’ve had a number of them over the years and they can be a bit uncomfortable as I imagine you’ve never had someone take a deep dive into your plumbing, yet not painful. Urethra might be a bit sore for a day or two, but it’s not used to passing solids either!
Best of luck, I hope you get some answers…

Had many cystoscopys done after my bladder cancer 7 years ago. Not a pleasant procedure. Before prostate cancer detection getting “scoped” irritated my enlarged prostate enough that I couldn’t pee and had to have a Foley catheter for a few days. Still go once a year to get scoped to examine the bladder. It’s the gold standard procedure for bladder monitoring.

I can relate. I have the exact same issue as you with nightly enuresis. My urologist has been unable to diagnose me either. I had a cystoscope and all was normal. I have had all the other routine tests. Next step will be to see a neurologist. Good luck with your cystoscope. Keep us posted!