Anyone try a bed wetting alarm

Archives1

Staff member
I had a appointment at the urologist recently I can tell during the void that I’m urinating and had gotten some control. I was talking to the doctor she recommended maybe trying a wetting alarm to give me some warning. Anyone ever try this would it be worth buying one looked at some and thy range from 34 200 dollars. Have been reading up on it and looks like it will clip inside my diaper. Just wanted to if anyone had tried this

I did years ago, didn't work. By the time I woke up, I was done peeing. Woke everyone else up except me. I wet multiple times during the night, so I wouldn't get much sleep because I had to change my diapers. I gave up after a few weeks.
It may work for you, it didn't for me.
Also, insurance usually doesn't cover the cost.

I too have tried it several times because my doctor claimed it would help me. To be honest it did do what it was supposed to do but the buzzing was annoying to my wife and didn’t always wake me up. I’m a deep sleeper and never heard it. My wife nixed it. Diapers, bed pads, and plastic sheets work best for us. I’ve been incontinent for over 30 years due to nerve damage so wear diapers 24/7. It sucks but I like them now and I don’t care who knows. My urologist knows thats what I prefer so they don’t try to change my mind anymore. They work best for me. I hope this helps. Good luck on your quest to find what works best for you.

I tried one a few years back, that I bought on Amazon. The sensor clipped on to my diaper, and had a buzzer/vibrator unit that clipped onto my night shirt, near my collar. I had it set to vibrate only, to not wake the wife.

It worked every time, vibrating when wetness formed in my cloth diaper. But since I'm a deep sleeper, I usually didn't wake up right away. So I still had a moderately wet diaper by the time I awakened, then got up, changed my diaper, then tried to get back to sleep.....

After about 2 weeks of this, I thought "What am I gaining??" With the alarm, I was waking up, with a wet diaper, and loosing sleep during the whole process. Without the alarm, I was waking up with a wetter diaper, at my normal time, but getting a better nights' rest. Also, my wife was getting irritated that I was waking her up too, when I was getting up in the middle of the night to change. When I told her I was thinking of stop using the alarm, she said "Good, we can both get more sleep, and reduce your diaper laundry too!"

I think alarms get less success as you get older. Alarms are geared for probably 8 years and upto maybe 15 or so.

These alarms can't logically wake you up beforehand because they go off only when it's already running. They work more in the sense of conditioning if you have a regular drinking and sleeping pattern. The idea is that at some point you will wake up by yourself at the time (preferably before) and then you can go to the toilet.

Equipped with this knowledge you don't have to keep waking up the whole house with these things. The trick is rather to note down the times when it happens and then to set an alarm clock (expediently one that does not wake up everyone and maybe goes off half an hour before - e.g. one in the wristwatch) If the alarm always rings at the same time you will eventually wake up even without him. The prerequisite for this is that you have a regular sleep and drinking rhythm - otherwise it does not work.

Tried one when I was 12 I think and, as you’ve heard from others, the wetness is already flowing and by the time I’d wake up I was already soaked. Too many times it didn’t wake me at all but did wake up everybody else. Back then they only had a foil type pad they went under the sheets and o noisy bow alarm that sat on a table next to the bed. I was being nightly diapered for my bedwetting so to use the alarm I had to go without a diaper. I’m pretty sure the same results would happen if I had it clipped inside my diapers. Maybe It works for some people, but not me. Of course now that I know I live with a neurogenic bladder there isn’t much I can do about my incontinence.