50 Yr old,wetting at bed at night,and do not know why.Can anyone here help?

stuart said:
Steve, how long were you a diabetic before you got diabetic neuropathy ?
I don't honestly know. I only found out I was diabetic when my incontinence became a problem. I have had a weak bladder all my life and was a chronic nightly bedwetter growing up and had episodes throughout my adult life. Then during my 40's daytime dribbling became a problem and by the end of each day my underwear was usually damp, stained and smelly. Then my bedwetting came back after a long dry spell. My wife suggested I saw the doc who sent me to a urologist and at the same time tested me for diabetes and found I was and probably had been diabetic for some time. Probably years, but with no other symptoms. I had no idea and no reason to get tested. The urology team did all sorts of tests some more invasive than others and it was eventually decided I had diabetic related neuropathy. I was told there was little they could do and refered me back to my Doctor's. I was then refered to the continence nurse to get some help with managing the problem. That is all now a long time ago. I am now pretty much urinary incontinent all the time and haven't been dry at night for years.

Must be frustrating that there is no treatment available. This seems to be a forgotten area when it comes to research.

Regarding the question about Coffee. I think is was the caffeine that was causing that issue for me.

Drinking less some hours before sleeping, seems to be helpful too.

Cutting back on fluids is not good either. Your kidneys need water to do their job, or you can have kidney problems later.

Well, I don't think I could really ever cut back too much on Water. I meant, I am just drinking less water before bed time.

Newhere...,
No diagnosis here, but while you continue your search for the cause of your nighttime leakage, you might think about managing it to gain back some normalcy. In some earlier notes, I've offered others to try our flexible silicone sleeve device that impedes urinary flow. It's very comfortable and will stop your nighttime leakage. I actually only wear mine 14 hours during the day, but not at night, depending on evening beer intake. It is patent pending and not yet for sale, but you are invited to join our volunteer group, if interested. We always appreciate the feedback to foster improvements. Fynlee amhelp@comcast.net

I am a diabetic too, diagnosed in 2003. Used only pill form to control. Did good until 2007, when I got my first and only uti. Was put on insulin which pretty much controls my blood sugar. Was a bedwetter long before being a diabetic.

I think it was the Zantac I took. The worst part was being unable to pee before removal. Strange I couldn't pee when I wanted too, but did when I didn't want too.