Anyone have shoulder surgery done?

Archives1

Staff member
Im looking at rotator cuff and wrist tendonitis surgery after the new year. Can you change and dress yourself after words?

look up the thread shoulder surgery someone else posted on this.Sorry, it sounds like you will need help. There may be a home nurse service available if you ask your doctor and hospital that will come for a short period of time at least, covered by insurance or medicare.

Thanks im glad i don't have all them issues. Here is what im looking at.

Appointments
Medical Record
Connect

MRI SHOULDER WO CONTRAST - DetailsPrinter friendly page--New window will open
About This Test

Details
Study Result
Impression
IMPRESSION
Extensive interstitial tear of the supraspinatus extending into the infraspinatus. There is extension to the bursal surface of the supraspinatus. This is a partial tear.

Narrative
EXAM
RIGHTMRI SHOULDER WO CONTRAST-6/5/2018 3:36 pm

HISTORY
concern for RC tear

TECHNIQUE
Multi-planar, multi-sequence MR imaging of the RT shoulder was performed without contrast.

COMPARISON
None.

FINDINGS
Coracoacromial Arch: There are moderate degenerative changes in the acromioclavicular joint with some spurring and subchondral cyst formation. There is no os acromiale.

Glenohumeral joint and SASD bursa: The articular relationships of the glenohumeral joint are within normal limits. The cartilage in the glenoid is intact. There is evidence of thinning of the cartilage over the humeral head. There is a small amount of fluid in the subacromial-subdeltoid bursa.

Rotator Cuff: There is evidence of an extensive interstitial tear in the supraspinatus extending into the infraspinatus. In the supraspinatus there is extension to the bursal surface. This is a partial tear. The musculature shows no evidence of atrophy.

Long head of the Biceps tendon: Intact.

Labrum/Glenohumeral ligaments: The labrum appears intact. The glenohumeral ligaments are intact.

I have had three shoulder surgeries. Two on the left,and one on the right along with bicep tendon surgery. Yes, you will need to have assistance. I have a very understanding supportive wife that helped. If at all possible use pull ups. With a lot of trial and error, I was able to manage wearing a tape on diaper...not easy, however.

Im going to get the Velcro diapers. The tape on ones my wife can not do well with her hands shaking. We practiced but it's hard for her to master. I held out till after hunting season. But with the winter coming on it hurts more. I'll go crazy being on the mend lol. Im not one to stay idle. Been practicing doing stuff left handed too. I'll ask about a home aide too. The 26th i have an appt to discuss the surgery. Then jan 2nd i have a fusion biopsy for my prostate. It's just a pea size area that is of concern. Busy days a head for sure.

Good luck to you. I had a prostatectomy about 20 months ago...one of the reasons for the need for diapers. Now, I'm dealing with heart problems. A good friend once told me "getting old is not for sissies."

Latest surgery May 2018, brain cancer. It depends on (1) the hospital and (2) how they write you up for Home Care. My hospital (I'll never go there again) wouldn't let me do a blessed thing except under supervision, and even then all i got to do was watch the nurse or the physical therapist. The excuse was always "Liability".
To get a home nurse, the hospital had to write it up just right. I was wondering why they called me "Bedridden" and "Homebound" . Under Medicare rules, i couldn't get home help (nurse or otherwise). Went with the pull-ups as soon as i left the hospital, they wanted me to use those open-with-temporary-tape ones.

Im going to ask if the doc can remove all of the suspect area while doing the biopsy.He said if it comes back cancer and the Gleason score is low. They will do active observation. Id rather just get it removed. Why wait for something to get worse? AlasSouth how are you doing since the surgery? That sounds scary going through something like that.

I had two shoulder surgeries and after the second one I was a pro at one handed changes lol. It just takes more time and let ya and lots of patience!! Northshore does make some good pull-ups though and with a good booster I’m sure they’d work for a good portion of the day.

I gave pull ups a thought. But i would to take my pants and shoes off to change them. I don't get why people like them. There more work lol. Im going to practice single handed changes. I'll get slip on shoes too. So i don't have to be worried about having some one tie them for me. I'll also double up on booster pads. That way less changes needed.

I had surgery on my right shoulder and needed help for days afterwards. Mine was not as extensive as what you have going on though so may take you longer.

I do agree with the pull-ups as I’ve never had luck with them but in a pinch at home there ok. Would never wear them out and about because of the need to disrobe like you mentioned. I used the lay down method when I could to change but if not getting the brief position then rest against the wall to help hold it up works well so you have time to tape one side then the other. You’ll just need to be very patient!! Beat of luck to you!!

Wether pull-ups or tape-ups, watch your balance. I took a hard fall. The drugs make you dizzier than i realized. Gettin up from prone position an issue; you don't need to re-injure that shoulder - take care!

When I had my shoulder surgery I used abena abriwing diapers, they are a bit easier to change because of how they are put on

Been praticng with my left and im getting it down. I have to change more often. Since the diaper is not snug in the crotch. No big deal ill just order more diapers and less boosters. Im allowed 300 absorbent wearable products a month with my insurance. Booster and diaper combo pulls my tightly whities down lol.

Up date. Im not having the surgery yet. They said it was elective for now. And to keep doing my exercises. I have a follow up in march.