Anyone had the urolift procedure?

Archives1

Staff member
I've had worsening bladder issues for years, but a urodynamic evaluation finally started to record some symptoms I was having. The test recorded bladder spasms, low capacity, sensitivity, and the nurse said I definitely have prostate obstruction. I asked why my cystoscopy appeared clear and he suggested that the water can also push the lobes of the prostate around and it may not be as noticeable.

I'll still have a follow-up to officially discuss the results, but the nurse suggested that there were a lot of options and we'd discuss them with the doctor. I'm curious if anyone here has had the urolift procedure. I did some searching and it looks minimally invasive. I'm not appearing to have retention, so I'm definitely not even considering it soon. Would love to get some thoughts from someone who's had it done, or perhaps had these symptoms and what you're doing to resolve/manage it. Thanks!

Have you looked into the "REZUM" procedure? I had that done with good results. It takes the doctor about 5 minutes to perform, and if you ask for general anesthesia, it is painless.

Also, look up The "Medtronic Interstim". It is like a heart pacemaker for your bladder. I had that done first, and I am very happy with the results.

I'm vaguely aware of it, I've seen it mentioned a few times here. I'm talk to my doctor about a plan, but my hunch is that she may not want to do something surgical until it gets worse. My wife and I are trying for another baby, so the Nurse suggested I want to hold off on more invasive options until we make sure we get a bun in the oven.

MezaJarJarBinks said:
Have you looked into the "REZUM" procedure? I had that done with good results. It takes the doctor about 5 minutes to perform, and if you ask for general anesthesia, it is painless.

Also, look up The "Medtronic Interstim". It is like a heart pacemaker for your bladder. I had that done first, and I am very happy with the results.

Did it stop your in incontinence?

@AUG168

I have an overactive bladder (OAB) without retention problems and an enlarged prostate.

I had to pee often (urgency/frequency). At night I would barely get to sleep, and I would have to go again; about every 30 minutes. Out and about, I was doing good to last an hour. My incontinence was very minor compared to someone recovering from prostate surgery.

The "Medtronic Interstim" greatly improved my urgency and frequency during the day and night. At night I am lasting about 2 hours. Out and about, I am lasting 3 1/2 hous.

The "REZUM" procedure removed some of the interior of the prostate, which relieved pressure, and made it easier to pass urine.

I had the urolift procedure about 4years ago. I have an enlarged prostate and a stricture (spelling?) in the neck of my bladder. My uroflow studies were showing that my flow rate was decreasing and bladder retention was increasing. I was told at the time it would last maybe 5-6 years and then we would see what the next steps would be.
I am not sure of the correct terminology but it was described as "shooting" ring clamps into the prostate through the urethra to "hold open" the urethra and allow more/better urine flow. The "tool" is inserted into the urethra through the penis.
I'll try to hit what I think are important items that hopefully answer your questions.
My procedure was out patient and done under local anesthetics. I went home the same day as the procedure with a catheter. I returned next day for removal and a check in. For me it still hurt when he inserted the tool and installed each clamp (I definitely felt them) I had 4 clamps installed.
My testicles hurt for about 2 weeks. (pain levels are subjective to the person I get that. Maybe say a 5 out of 10)I was to be on light duty for work for about a weekish, based on feeling.
My 1st ejaculation was somewhere around 3 weeks(?) after the procedure and hurt really badly (7 out of 10?) hurt so bad I was afraid to do it again. waited quite a while till I was brave enough to try again. (patient wife) Was better but still hurt. To current day My testicles still hurt after ejaculating but I would describe it more as a discomfort as opposed to pain/hurt.
My urine flow was definitely much improved. I describe it as a firehose as opposed to a laser beam.
The uroflow studies post procedure showed less urine retention in my bladder as well.
What it did not help is my urge incontinence. I still leak during the day, get very little notice for the "I gotta go signal" and wet the bed at night, that has not changed. I will admit that part was disappointing, but it is what it is.
Would I do it again? Yes I think I would unless another/better option was presented (technology tends to move us forward. 5-6 years from when I had mine done, what will change or be available?). I had already tried a couple different medications (flowmax, etc) and the side effects for me made them unusable (flowmax for example lowered my already low blood pressure to the point where I was fainting/passing out.)that was part of the reasoning my urologist used for recommending the urolift to me.
Hopefully I hit some of the main points/questions. If there are more hit me, maybe I know the answer, maybe I won't, but I also won't feed you a line.

Thanks, Tim. I was out on vacation for a week and didn't think to check back. I appreciate the straightforward answers. Do the clamps stay in permanently? Do they get replaced, or if things get worse, are they eventually removed with other more invasive options?

Your welcome.
At this point in the process my understanding is they remain in place but the prostate grows "around" them, causing the symptoms to return.
I am not sure what the next steps will be. Perhaps not the right mentality, but I am figuring to see/take the next step when the time arises. Currently they are still doing what there supposed to. I figure if my urologist is correct I have about a year or 2 to go before there may need to be a discussion of what our next course of action will be.

Thank you, again. I did a little more research. I'm probably a ways off on deciding, but I'm glad to walk into the Urologist's office fully informed!

Hi, don't know if my response to your question is still of interest to you ... I had a urolift procedure 3 years ago in response to BPH symptoms that were gradually becoming worse and I didnt tolerate medications. Following the Urolift my urine stream improved for 2-3 months but not as much as I expected. After 3 months the old BPH symptoms returned and I began to be concerned with some level of stricture. My urologist performed a cystoscopy that revealed narrowing of the urethra ahead of were the urolift "staples" were placed. This meant that the urolift was only providing limited benefits which was unacceptable to me. I opted for a TURP procedure which provided much better results but the pathology indicated low risk prostate cancer which eventually led to my radical prostatetomy this past August.

So to summarize, I was not satsified with the Urolift results because it may only address a short length of the urethra that passed through the prostate. However, it is mush less invasive than the TURP!

Bart

My story is very similar to Bart's. My urologist did a cystoscopy and said I was a good candidate for the Urolift. I had BPH and a very slow urine stream. He told me it was so tolerable that I could go to work the next day. He was wrong. It was done as an outpatient and when I came to from the anesthetic I saw my penis was dripping blood and the nurse had me clean myself up while I was still doozey, rather than do it herself. They gave me pain killers because urinating was so irritating. I passed blood for days. Eventually the pain went away and for three months my urine stream was great. Then it went back to the way it had been and never got good again. I think my doctor got some kind of bonus for the number of Urolifts he performed.

I am interested in this topic, and hope it is OK to repost here an earlier post I made to the general forum>

Four years ago I was found to have bladder stones, which were lasered in the hospital, and a urolift device inserted. I was fine for the next 3 years or so, but peeing started to get more problematic, and more stones were recently discovered by CT scan.

My Dr wants to perform a TURP, which he says would be the best option to more fully drain the bladder, and keep the stones from forming again. I am 74 years old, with excellent sexual function, which I obviously hope continues. I reached some level of acceptance that with a TURP retrograde ejaculations were likely, percentagewise, and impotence is a 1 in 20 chance.

I started wondering about incontinence as another side effect, and a random Googling led me here, where I have read many horror stories, mostly related to prostate removal.

Seeking people's help with evaluating: A> a TURP with apparently more effectiveness at draining the bladder and retarding stone development, but with greater risks of incontinence and impaired sexual function, or B> reinstall the Urolift (which the Dr. says he would do) which seems to have already failed once, but seems to have less chance of the side effects, at the cost of not working as well to solve the daily problems if the stones come back again. please correct any errors in my analysis.

I have surgery scheduled for march 29th, so need to have a decision soon... any advice or suggestions much appreciated!

I know people who have gone through TURP - they had a tough few days, and were happy after that, except for retrograde ejaculations. I have gone through Urolift, as stated above- I had a tough few days, but was not happy after that. I will never recommend a Urolift to anyone.

thanks for the response...

I think now my main concern (fear) is incontinence resulting from the TURP. If my "condition" did not get worse, I could probably live with it, but likely it will deteriorate, and the current stones (one 18mm) will need to be removed anyway, i would think. i wonder if it is a viable option to just blast the stones, and not do the TURP (cystolitholapaxy). No idea what happened to the Urolift devices that were implanted 4 years ago. I have read that they can be overgrown by more prostate tissue, or just migrate around... If stones are my main issue, can I proceed with dietary changes and a periodic cystolitholapaxy? my PSA levels have always been good.

I feel at the mercy of my urologists skill level and general inclinations...