anyone find it hard to find motivation to shower?

Archives1

Staff member
I find it really hard to find motivation

I guess once I'm in I am okay, especially on hot days it's really nice (cold showers to keep you cool)

my lack of motivation comes from what happens afterwards. I can be clean and cool, then I'll just make use of my nappy and stink!

seriously:the last time I had a shower, I lasted maybe an hour before my nappy was... well. ruined

I still try to shower a bit though. even though I think it's gross not to shower, it also seems a bit pointless

When you are incontinent showering often is a must. I know what you mean though I know I often smell of pee from my constant wetting.

I know what you mean about showering but as stevewet said its a must for everyone whos suffers with incontinence i do sometimes not shower as ive got very bad depression but i try and make myself as i hate the smell and it cuts down on diaper rash

Joanne is right, nothing like a rash to ruin your day. With all the lockdown stuff in place I get it about feeling what’s the point. At least for a little bit you will feel clean and better and you will help keep your skin in a healthier state.

Hi Emily, I know what you mean about lack of motivation and that "what's the use?" feeling and all of that! I like to shower twice a day, after getting up and before having supper in the evening. And in hot weather it's mandatory! I know what you mean when you shower and are nice and clean and then have to use your nappy a while later. Do you use disposables? The better brands are more absorbent and are less likely to have an odor problem. The "off the shelf" brands in supermarkets, well not so much! I'm not familiar with the brands you have in U.K., though. Also there are booster pads available that will not only help with absorbency issues but could cut down on odor as well. The pads are completely flow-through as they have no plastic backing so urine goes straight into the diaper itself and requires fewer changes. In the States, we have North Shore medical supply which has excellent booster pads (as do other companies) and I would think you have similar companies and products where you are that would help. If Adam from North Shore reads this, he may be able to point you in the right direction to a company in England that would have the pads.
Another idea after your shower is put corn starch in that area. That helps keep your skin dry and also may help with odors. I hope this helps! If not, then come back and we will all put our heads together and see what else we can come up with!:)

@emily91 I can understand the frustration of taking a good shower, feeling all clean and then sometime after an accident happens and you don't feel so clean. The way I would look at it is that showers are something everyone does (or at least should do) on a daily basis. Due to incontinence or bedwetting as in my case we just might have to take a few extra showers to stay fresh.

I remember one morning I woke wet and was rushed so instead of taking a shower I used a washcloth and some soap to wash myself off. I didn't think anything of it but about half way through the morning I thought I smelled a slight whiff of pee and immediately thought it was me. I felt awkward the rest of the day. Now the thing is I hardly ever smell my pee. I drink a lot of water and have very clear pee with minimum to no oder. I think the smell was psychological but had me thinking others might smell it all day long. When I got home I took a proper shower right away and felt better. I even smelled my pants but they just smelled normal, no pee smell.

The point is, proper showers or baths do make us feel fresh and clean and it can be frustrating to be clean only to know at some point in the future you will not be and will have to wait for a shower. But don't pass up that shower when you can get it. It rejuvenating.

Best to you.

JT

I shower everyday (always in the morning before work). I had a day where my alarm didn’t go off and I didn’t have time to shower. I smelled terribly like pee all day long. It was horrible.

Gee, don't you hate when that happens? No time for a shower and only a quick swab with a washcloth. It is funny the tricks our minds can play on us regarding this incontinence thing. I'm not a psychologist so I can't explain the whys and the wherefors of that. But I have been in similar situations and I keep checking the front of my jeans for signs of leakage.

Spaz said:
I shower everyday (always in the morning before work). I had a day where my alarm didn’t go off and I didn’t have time to shower. I smelled terribly like pee all day long. It was horrible.

I've been in that situation a few times when my depression and PTSD hit its lowest. I would come in late and my boss would call me while i was still in bed concerned about what was happening to me.

Little did they know 2 years ago i was waking up in a soaked bed. I finally got the courage to buy a pee pad online that i sleeped on for a good 7/8 months. But sometimes i would be scared i would lose my job (I eventually did due to the PTSD episodes) - and i would quickly get changed into work clothes and run out the door and after a couple hours of being at work i would start to notice myself smelling of urine. That father fostered the idea that i was a - "Bedwetter" and I would come up with an excuse a few times to leave early due to an emergency and go home.

I wish i wasnt that person. And i was to proud of a person to wear disposable underpants at night for it. But after testing, going through painful urodynamics and trying different meds - idk man.

@Spaz Feel for you Spaz. Thankfully it does not happen often.

@Honeeecombs Hey man you gotta do what works best for you. Pee Pad or diaper/pullups, if it is working for you that don't worry about the rest. For me I use a waterproof bed pad ( guess pee pad as you call them) It works for me and I sleep more comfortable than if I was wearing an adult pull-ups. But that is me. So find what combination of protection works for you and that you are comfortable with. From your posts you have a lot on your mind and are working through a tough situation. Let the protection you use be the least of your worries so long as it works and you are comfortable with it.

Depends on the weather with me in summer months I shower a few times a week in the morning.
The winter I shower a bit less but have a bath in the evenings. Love relaxing in bath and drying off in front of my wood stove.

HI @Honeeeecombs, that is no fun being worried about losing your job. I think it happens to all of us at one time or another. In the meantime, please don't be too proud to wear absorbent underwear. I do it every day. And am very happy that they are available for us. Having to wear those doesn't make you any less awesome and guess what, there are plenty of awesome people on this forum! Best thing would be to invest in such underwear. Go on line look under adult incontinence products and look through the many companies that offer that type of underwear. Most of those companies have very knowledgeable sales people who will be able to figure out just what you need, and will send you samples. Do that, make your selection from the best samples and you'll sleep better at night. And using a reusable pad may also be a good choice for you - or both pad and disposable underwear. In the long run,that will help with your at-work issues. Any questions, comments, please ask us and we'll figure something out!

@emily91 I can completely relate. A few months after I became incontinent and learned there was no treatment for my condition of Neurogenic Bladder, I stayed in bed for a couple of years with severe depression. I only showered once a week. I hated that, but I just didn’t care, and didn’t have the energy. Besides incontinence, I was also surviving two kinds of cancer, an 8”x8” third-degree burn on my ass, and a couple of broken bones - and, divorce. Those were the worst years of my life. I’ve had 18 surgeries in the past five years. Now I‘m back to loving showering, even though standing still in one place wreaks havoc on my lumbar scoliosis. I take more quick showers now, and fewer longer showers where I wash my hair, shave, and do my make-up, because that requires standing in one place on a hard floor for two hours, which I’ll pay for the rest of the day with crippling back pain. Still, there is something about showering that is so refreshing and so worth the effort. We’re made of water and our bodies love water. Having a shower is like seeing the sunrise. So try to take care of yourself by treating yourself to your regular shower schedule. And when you aren’t up to a shower, don’t feel any shame or guilt about that. It’s crucial to be gentle with yourself.

I just wanted to post and let everyone know I got in a shower yesterday!

to be fair though, I had too. I woke up and I was disgusting

but I did it!. full body wash, hair, nails, the works

Dino said:
Depends on the weather with me in summer months I shower a few times a week in the morning.
The winter I shower a bit less but have a bath in the evenings. Love relaxing in bath and drying off in front of my wood stove.

dino... I was once told a couple of years ago " you really don't shower enough"

and that was in the winter

emily91 said:

Awesome. Bet you felt refreshed afterwards.

@snow, you're right, showers are really awesome! And your analogy of having a shower is like seeing the sunrise, I've never heard that before, but I think it is fitting! I know after a long day a shower renews me and it's just good to feel squeaky clean. I think our bodies are made up of 98 percent water, or something phenomenal like that, so no wonder we crave it! I've got to have a shower every day, especially when it's this hot out!
And Snow, I really hope those awful years you've had are something that fades and keeps gets smaller and smaller in your rearview mirror, if you know what I mean. Keep coming here and we'll help you find a nice smooth road!:)

showered again today.

soon as I woke up made full use of my nappy (wet, smelly, the lot)

I had to get in the shower straight away

Jaytee said:
emily91 said:

Awesome. Bet you felt refreshed afterwards.[/quot
yes I did

sat in the lounge and ate a fruit salad and listened to the birds