Any advice?

Archives1

Staff member
I'm getting annoyed with the inconsistency of my issues. Some days I barely need to go to the restroom and when I do I have no problems making it. Some days I have to go every 30 minutes but have good control but still can have a large accident if I don't make it to the toilet within a reasonable amount of time. Some days I leak almost constantly with no controls, and some days I get frequent urges and almost immediately have an accident when the urge hits. Right now I don't know what product to use because I hate wasting products and am dry half the time but also don't want to have to deal with an accident in public. Does anyone have any advice on what products to use or in general how to manage this or just any tips that could be helpful I wish I knew what to expect every day with this

Just a thought. You may want to try wearing a pair of diapers, with a extra pad with wings or side tabs inserted. The pad can easily be removed and replaced if you have small leaks. The diaper will always be there as a back up when you can't make it to the bathroom. Make sure you get the replaceable pads with wings or tabs on the side. This will help control leaks to the diaper.

baton999 said:
Just a thought. You may want to try wearing a pair of diapers, with a extra pad with wings or side tabs inserted. The pad can easily be removed and replaced if you have small leaks. The diaper will always be there as a back up when you can't make it to the bathroom. Make sure you get the replaceable pads with wings or tabs on the side. This will help control leaks to the diaper.

The issue is I'd still be wasting products on the days I am dry even more so by using double I don't really have issues with leaks from protection.

I have similar issues, though probably not quite as severe as yours. Unless I am on a long car trip, I can wear a cheaper quality brief, such as a store brand. Some times I insert a size 6 diaper in as a booster and hope that all I have to change is that. If the adult product doesn't get wet, at least it's a less expensive day when everything is said and done. You may already know whether or not this would be enough protection on your worst days- I hope it helps you as well as it works for me.

jeffswet said:
I have similar issues, though probably not quite as severe as yours. Unless I am on a long car trip, I can wear a cheaper quality brief, such as a store brand. Some times I insert a size 6 diaper in as a booster and hope that all I have to change is that. If the adult product doesn't get wet, at least it's a less expensive day when everything is said and done. You may already know whether or not this would be enough protection on your worst days- I hope it helps you as well as it works for me.

I personally don't find the store bought brands comfortable and also if I am having a bad day they aren't always absorbent enough which is the issue

Write down how much fluid you drink and when. If you put in a glass of water immediately go to the toilet, try to relax, and offload as much as you can. Avoid caffeine/diuretics and soda pop which make this worse.

Scheduled probably minimum for you 30 minute toilet trips. In other words don't try to hold it for three hours or you'll get an urge and may not make it. Go to the bathroom probably every 30 mins whether you feel like you have to go or not. Get out an egg timer, program your cell phone, or something, but go as scheduled. Then you'll have a routine.

Sometimes just pads with wings on your underwear instead of a full diaper works for some people. Don't ever buy pads with no luck ings cause the sides of the underwear get leaked on.

Are you dribbling in between trips? Is that what "leaks all the time is saying"?

A Pessary often stops in between dribbles for a lot of people that is separate from leaks from sneezing or coughing.

I was told by a doc I didn't need a Pessary. I got secondary advice and I talked to other patients. Got a Pessary and it completely stopped my in between dribbles and or in between leaks that were not due to sneezing or coughing.

Maybe try those 3 things and see if they work for you. Be persistent and Good luck!

leaky said:
Write down how much fluid you drink and when. If you put in a glass of water immediately go to the toilet, try to relax, and offload as much as you can. Avoid caffeine/diuretics and soda pop which make this worse.

Scheduled probably minimum for you 30 minute toilet trips. In other words don't try to hold it for three hours or you'll get an urge and may not make it. Go to the bathroom probably every 30 mins whether you feel like you have to go or not. Get out an egg timer, program your cell phone, or something, but go as scheduled. Then you'll have a routine.

Sometimes just pads with wings on your underwear instead of a full diaper works for some people. Don't ever buy pads with no luck ings cause the sides of the underwear get leaked on.

Are you dribbling in between trips? Is that what "leaks all the time is saying"?

A Pessary often stops in between dribbles for a lot of people that is separate from leaks from sneezing or coughing.

I was told by a doc I didn't need a Pessary. I got secondary advice and I talked to other patients. Got a Pessary and it completely stopped my in between dribbles and or in between leaks that were not due to sneezing or coughing.

Maybe try those 3 things and see if they work for you. Be persistent and Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Timed voiding isn't a possibility with a way my schedule works either I'm at home where I can get up to use a toilet when I need to go or if I'm having issues put on protection or I am on campus in my college classes throughout the day I am drinking fluids as I exercise a lot and I have more issues when dehydrated while only my bladder gives me issues when properly hydrated.

No I don't leak in between trips or have post void leakage their are days occasionally thankfully not very often where I am getting the urge seemingly every few minutes and almost immediately going with little control. My issues are pure urge incontinence as far as I am aware so a pessary likely wouldn't help me much.

The pads idea is a good one

I agree with above. I have ups and downs, good days, wet days. I use a Depends with tabs when I'm just not sure what my bladder is going to do. I cannot use inserts or pads that contact my scrotum. They exacerbate an allodynic type pain. On a long trip in car or by air I always wear a better brand like Tranquility with a good quality snap on style vinyl or PUL pant. I can then leave my home with confidence!

I’m not quite sure what you mean by wings. If you mean a full mat diaper meaning one with absorbent materials far out into the edges that is different than what I think of it as a sanitary pads with wings please clarify.

I am thinking of incontinence pads (eg, Poise), but I haven't found any with wings. I don't mean sanitary pads for menstrual periods (e.g., Kotex). I don't mean diapers. Thank you.

patrusky said:
I am thinking of incontinence pads (eg, Poise), but I haven't found any with wings. I don't mean sanitary pads for menstrual periods (e.g., Kotex). I don't mean diapers. Thank you.
I think Abena's higher level ones do but not sure

I have the same inconsiency. I can typically predict what kind of day I am having and plan accordingly. I am typically daytime diaper free. When I have increased urgency I use seni super. I find they have the ability to manage a heavy void and a half. Heavy days I use seni super plus. Nights are abena l4. I find seni stay in place better then most cloth diapers. I also use abena cotton fitting pants which help keep everything in place.
I always keep an couple spares in my car and at work just in case.

I haven't read into the exact details yet but I know my mum has found pumpkin extract and cranberry extract to be really helpful. This it's tablet form. Worth a try :)

Do you really need the extracts or does cranberry juice or cranberry sauce and pumpkin squash or pumpkin in food work?