Agent Orange

Archives1

Staff member
I am a Vietnam veteran...colon cancer survivor and insulin dependent diabetic. The VA says that my multiple issues are not Agent Orange related. Has anyone had better luck with VA in pursuing a claim. I have recently become increasingly Urinary incontinent after being a leaker for several years. Thanks.

I can’t answer your questions but wanted to thank you for your service to our country. Hopefully you are able to get some answers.

JBO: If you served in country during the Viet Nam conflict and you have type 2 diabetes, you are absolutely eligible for Agent Orange disability benefits. If your incontinence is due to your diabetes you may be eligible for further benefits. Go to your nearest VA office and file a claim or you may also file online. Do not let any VA personnel talk you out of filing a claim.

The VA website clearly states that if you meet the requirements you are eligible due to your diabetes (if it is type 2 diabetes). However colon cancer does not make you automatically eligible.

Thanks for the responses...a bit more detail is called for. I am type 2 diabetic...and I get just over $300 dollars a month for that...additionally, I was a blue-water sailor and have the original denial letter that said I wasn't even there, in spite of my ships log copies that were submitted 4 times. My original claim only took 4 years and 10 months to be approved. I'm not sure i want to go through the aggravation again.

@jbo

Welcome, and thank you for your service.

I was never in the military but have a lot of family that is/was.

Never quit, never give up, Fight like hell for everything you were willing to sign over your very life for.

I have an uncle who never deployed by is on full disability due to an on-base accident and it took years of fighting to get what he has now.

People here know how much I have had to fight to get what I have.

With my uncle, it was all about being willing to pack a bag and go to the best VA hospital for what he had going on.

Don't take no for an answer with them. There is so much that the VA will cover for you once things go the right way.

Hi jbo,

If I were you I would contact the local DAV chapter and get some advice on benefits. VA health care is sporadic at best some facilities are better then others. Anything VA takes forever.

As I remember, the requirements are boots on the ground in the SEA, Blue Water Navy, and personnel on some designated C-130 aircraft.

I am a vietnam vet with diabetes.
I got fourniers gangrene from the diabetes medication i was taking (jardance)
I got 20% for diabetes and 0% for the fourniers gangrene and still have a C&P exam for the incontnance caused by the fourniers gangrene.
I was not exposed in vietnam but on Guam and Johnstone atoll under the new Pact act.