Advice for bad diaper tapes

Archives1

Staff member
Having nearly 20 years of constant diaper wearing, I have tried and used pretty much every diaper on the market. Some are ok, others are great. But even the best absorbing diaper can fail in the tape department. I've read many times about people using anything from electrical tape to bandaids to packaging tape to secure the diaper tape tabs. So, to save anyone the pain of figuring it out, i thought i would post my best fix solution for ya. I use the medical cloth tape or the clear perforated tape. They both work wonders although the cloth tape works best. I simply apply a 3 inch piece of cloth bandage tape to each tab. Once pressed on well, it nearly disappears and when removing, it tears very easily. Often times, I'll use the 3 inch piece on the bottom two tape tabs and a long piece across the top, from about two inches before the tab begins to the other side. This gives the front of the diaper a lot of extra strength and helps eliminate sagging down on the waist.but on better brands, or ones with a front plastic landing zone, i just use single pieces on the top tabs like i do on the bottom. Hope this helps anyone!

thanks for advice, i haven't had that problem the diaper i use from north shore and they work for me. your right about other good diapers the tape are the problem overall. until you find the right diaper that works for you.

Duck tape mine on every night! My diaper stays in place and never sags. The only bad part is it’s difficult to take off in the morning.

I tend to not try to fix them when they break. A simple “damnit!” And they go in the trash. Wasteful I know but I am bad about being frustrated and just getting a new one. Luckily tabs don’t break that often.

I've used all sorts of tapes over the years, for extra protection I wear a tightish fitting net pants over the diaper.
It keeps it in place should the tapes fail.

For diapers with tapes, I use NorthShore diapers and the tapes are easily re-closed for adjusting when needed. However, I wear those overnight. When tapes have failed or get torn, I'll use Scotch tape. When I was in the hospital for a knee replacement a year ago, I got to experience the old school taped diapers--pulling the tape to re-adjust doesn't work because it is too sticky. Glad I didn't have my current incontinence back in that era. During the day, I have started using a pull up that has high capacity.

It's a great idea to use medical tape!

Tapes are the bane of my existence. Being partially continent, I basically want a product that's got the convenience of a pull-up for toilet visits whilst being as easy to change and as protective as a regular nappy. I've found most tapes aren't really refastenable/adjustable whatever the packet says.

good advice on the medical tape I find I always try to tape my diaper nice snug and comfortable and after wearing for a while I am not sure if things are stretching or if the tapes are sliding on the plastic but they do manage to work their way to a looser fit sometimes I have to change a dry diaper because it will work it's way lose enough that I will worry about possible leakage when I finally do wind up wetting

I remember years ago Walgreens used to sell rolls of "Disposable Diaper Tape" it had a plastic dispenser case just like scotch tape

I'v been running into this problem with ATNs. I've just been using cheap duck tape, but it makes removal complicated. Thanks for the tip!