A bit of a rant but, Need some help.

Archives1

Staff member
Is there anything someone here has tried that helps with constipation that would be a prescription and not offered over the counter?

With all the amazing things this country that I call home has that is awesome, our health care is not one of them.

CVS and my insurance will not allow me to get the meds that my doctor prescribed under my insurance because they are offered over the counter. LIKE, WTH. Almost $200 a month.

Luckily I have some stool softeners and Meralax left over or I would be in big medical trouble.

Contact the company its self to see if you can get some assistance. Some drug companies do?

Contact the doctor to see if they can rewtite script for a different rx only?

Hello! Actually, there is a product called Kristalose which is very similar to Miralax which is only available by prescription. Perhaps you could as your doctor about getting a script for that?

If you don't have any luck, or if you are open / able to approach this through diet, I have found that steel cut oats are MUCH more effective as a fiber supplement than regular oatmeal. So much so, that if I am making oatmeal as a hot breakfast cereal, I can't use only steel cuts- I can only use a tablespoon or so to a regular serving of rolled oats. It takes longer to cook than regular oats, so I boil up a quarter cup (half an hour), drain it and refrigerate it for use in the next few days. I put it in regular oatmeal (porridge), but also, I add it to tuna salads, spaghetti sauces, chili etc. Part of the reason is that if your meal is high in fiber, your body expels more of the fat (from that meal) before it can be absorbed. I realize you may (probably) have dietary restrictions or intolerance that may preclude your use of this, but I thought I should mention it. Hopefully something works for you.

There are so many options.You are doing the right thing by talking to your Dr. If you are seeing your PC be careful as I have had them tell me to take a supplement called Senakot that screwed my system up to the point I finally saw a gastroenterologist who immediately took me off the supplement. In a couple of days my system recovered. The gastroenterologist has me using Miralax as needed for constipation. I buy the Costco brand. If you have regular issues with constipation you may want to see a gastroenterologist.

@jeffswet Ditto, can’t eat just rolled oats or all hell breaks loose, but I sure do love them! I never thought of combining them with regular oats – thank you so much for that idea!but love them! I never thought of combining them with regular oats – thank you so much for that idea!