9 months post prostatectomy PSA

Archives1

Staff member
My 6 month post prostatectomy PSA at my urologist clinic was .01. I just had my annual physical at my primary doctor and the PSA from his Clinic at the nine month mark was.04... is this cause for concern? Not scheduled to see my urologist for another month.. thanks for any input

I wouldn't imagine giving you medical advice, beyond to be sure to see your urologist.

In my case, I'd had a Gleason of 9, leading to a radical robotic prostatectomy. A while after surgery, there was just a whisper of PSA action. In my case, given the Gleason score, that meant moving on to further treatment. You know, you shot the grizzly, and it's down...but if a claw twitches, that's still something to see to.

So do keep your appointment. Or if you need it for your peace of mind, see if they can move it up. When they stay on top of things as they do now, there are many good treatments with good results.

My urologist said to try to have your psa checked at the same lab each time for consistency. Most important is what happens over time. You may want to check psa every 2 or 3 months and see what it does over the next few checks. It’s very simple and easy to check psa.

My urologist told me that even though the Prostate has been removed, prostate cancer can show up anywhere in the body because it may have metastasized before the prostate was removed. Therefore, your doctor should continue monitoring for the DHA. I'm 14 (fourteen) years out from prostatectomy (complete removal of the prostate) and I still have my DHA checked periodically at least every year.

@rd0077 My understanding is that anything over 0.2 post-surgery is cause for concern. My PSA went from 0.02 to 0.23 in 9 months after surgery, and then to 0.56 three months later. I was started on the 6-month Lupron injection and radiation therapy for 8 weeks almost immediately after the last PSA. I'm still in the midst of treatment, so I can't tell you yet how effective it is. My radiation oncologist explained that while the PSA is highly unreliable pre-surgery in detecting prostate cancer, it is the most reliable tool out there for detecting cancer post-surgery. Anything over 0.20 post-surgery is assuredly cancer.

It is good to use the same lab if possible for consistency. My lab test down to the 0.01 level and
gives me a <.01 value. I know others that go to labs that test down to .04 and give test reports of <.04. If I we to this lab I would be given a <.04 value. Did the lab give you a less than .04 or give you .04. Does the lab test for less than .04? You can go back to your original lab and get tested again. You may being stressed when it is still below.01 but the lab only test to .04. Just a possibility. Wishing you happiness always Timmy

Thank you you may have something there because I was being tested at my primary doctor for my annual physical and it definitely was a different lab than my urologist which has their own lab and a new state of the art PSA machine.. and my primary doctor when I asked about my PSA test said it was undetectable and no worries but then found out when I got home it was. 04 and thanks for your counsel I have been in a anxiety funk