20 and Losing Control

Archives1

Staff member
Hello I'm a 20 year old male with OAB causing occasional small leaks in the day. And heavy wetting at night. Currently I manage using a male guard in the day and Abena briefs at night. I head back to college soon and am wondering if anybody has any advice for managing this or any other people around my age are struggling with this because I feel alone in this a lot of a time.

The best thing to do would be to inform your college. Hopefully they can help you find a roommate with similar issues.

That's a terrible feeling. I wouldn't know how to face that. I'm 33 and only have issues at night bedwetting and even though nobody really knows I just have a hard time accepting the fact that im still using diapers. Good luck hope everything goes well!

Thanks I have the same issue of accepting that I need to wear diapers at night but it is better than a wet bed

Just remember that diapers are just a different type of underwear. They may be inconvenient at times, but make life so much more manageable. Especially when you find a system that works well. Usually takes a lot of trial and error.

My best advise is to get over it. I find loosing my hair embarrassing. Glasses embarrassing and a pain, but that's life,and I'm glad to have alternatives. Unlike hair lose etc, diapers will most likely be seen by the wearer only. If you don't make a big deal about them, and keep it private, it will become manageable.

My question to greengold? Have you had bed wetting issues at other times in your life or is this something new?

I had them for a while when I was little they went away for a few years before resurfacing a few years ago it isn't every night but it is most nights

How was your bedwetting handled when you were young. I was a bedwetter from age 5-9 and reintroduced to cloth diapers and plastic pants to "Help Mom Out". Not easy at first but soon realized it was better than a wet bed.
My mom was great and kept it very private. My saying is once a bed wetter always a bed wetter, just with dry periods. When I was older cloth was just the natural solution to my problem.

I am with you also on the bedwetting. I would flood my bed back in elementary school days. Then when I hit Jr. High it stopped for a while. Then by the end of High school it came back at full force. My emotions got the best of me. I went into the doctors to find out that I had two major things wrong with me. First I was diagnosed with OAB. Second I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Not a good combination. I now use a sleep machine call a bi-pap. It helped some but I still have issues every night. Now at 42 I don't just wear diapers at night, I have to wear diapers during the day also. With help on this forum, I have come to terms with myself that I can't dwell on life because of this problem I have. I've axcepted the fact diapers are now my underwear. It's hard at first to deal with it but in time it will get better dealing with the problem

It can be extremely hard figuring all of this out! I am so sorry. For me it took a long time to find good products and to simply be ok with using diapers etc. A lot depends on the products you use, some are less bulky and make you feel more normal.

I feel "too young" having these issues at 36. I started with bedwetting a little under 2 years ago and then daytime urgency, then daytime leaks, then regular daytime floods. I'm sorry to say, if you progress as I did then you'll probably end up in those Abena diapers around the clock.

It's tough. I like to be active and social and incontinence can really put a damper on that. It took me a long time to accept that I needed to wear diapers and that they were going to be a regular part of my life. I tried many meds and nothing worked. Oddly, I've come to really appreciate my diapers as they're like a life line to me now. I can go out and about and lead a pretty normal life. I just have to plan ahead a bit and choose clothing a bit differently. I've found good diapers that I fully trust and can honestly say that despite very sever incontinence that can have me leak anywhere from 5oz to 15+oz in a single and strong gush, I've not had a leak in ages. I've become grateful for my diapers and am at a point where I couldn't imagine not having one on.

At 20, you're even younger so I can imagine it's even harder. But people are typically very understanding. No decent person would ever make fun of you for it or try to humiliate you. Only immature people who aren't worth you time would. It's not always possible to completely conceal, unfortunately. I've managed to hide it from all my coworkers but a few friends have found out. Accept that as inevitable and it will make it easier when it happens.

Just be yourself and be confident in yourself and you'll be fine. It's a just a diaper, it's just a medical issue. Keep it in perspective. Is it embarrassing? Oh hell yeah it is, but it's really not the end of the world and you'll eventually come to see that. Hopefully you'll be luckier than I was and find a med or other treatment that works. But even if you end up needing diapers 24/7, I can think of a lot of far worse medical problems to have.

Thanks I'm hopeful that my daytime issues don't get much worse on the bright side with my OAB I have never went a lot at one time usually anyways. It is an adjustment and I am still figuring out how to best manage my condition. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to chat

I also was going to let you know it depends on what products you use as well! When I use crappy products I feel like it is way more of an issue. But when I use quality products the diapers aren't so bad, even at night.