would you have surgery to stop your wetting ?

Archives1

Staff member
i been to see the doctor at the hospital today and she said surgery may help me with my day and night-time wetting calm cystoplasty surgery where the bladder is cut open and a patch of intestine in between the 2 halves the goal of this procedure is to reduce bladder instability and increase bladder capacity would you have surgery ? or would you just put up dealing with wetting the best way you can my wife wants me to have surgery i just don,t know what to do any feed back would be a great help

My doctor pretty much said the same thing. I told him no surgery for me. I can deal with wearing diapers. I was also told that it might not be 100% either after surgery.

I had surgery and after a year I was right back to where I was before only I was in a lot of pain and then started having problems with fecal incontinence. I am still in a lot of pain 7 1/2 years later. I did have a different incontinence surgery than you are asking about but having it done was the worst decision of my life

Jason,
I know others have seen a note or two of mine previously...and perhaps you have as well. The message that I have is that you can substantially reduce urinary leakage with the use of an external device. I confess that, in my opinion, most on the market are uncomfortable or inconvenient and so I use a soft silicone unit that can be worn all day (or all night. The primary message is that you do have a choice between managing the leakage and reducing the leakage. My three pad/day usage is now one per two days...when not swinging a golf club. I have info, if you are interested. dglisan@comcast.net

I'm not sure I would have surgery for my incontinence issue unless my Dr. assured me it would work.I would probably stay with wearing diapers. Whose to say that your incontinence condition gets worse after surgery instead of better. Just my thoughts!

The question you should ask is: if this works, will I be mentally able to wear normal underwear?

The lingering fear of an accident suddenly happening out of nowhere would hang in for a long time.

The surgery you describe was one of three options my consultant gave me. I tried Botox first, this completely paralysed my bladder so I have been using 6 catheters a day for several months now and during that time I have had several infections. When this wears off, like you I don't know what to do. I could try sacral nerve stimulation, but I worry about more infections. I could try the clam operation, but I worry that I will have to use catheters for the rest of my life or I could stick with the tena slips.

My doctor offered "to go in there and do something" but he said he saw nothing wrong and it was likely a muscular issue, so I said no thanks.

I would take a close look at the success rate of the procedure & the doctor with the procedure as well as alternatives.

As things stand for me right now, it's a problem I can deal with but if it would get worse I might consider surgery.

My Dr.has never offered surgery because he concludes mine is neurological due to my history of seizures as a child. Seeing a neurologist now to see if I have a neurogenic condition causing my incontinence and need to wear diapers.

I had Transurethral resection of bladder neck contracture with laser due to scar tissue on December 7, 2010.Incontinence started immediately. Was not told that this was a possibility. My primary physician does not recommend an artificial sphincter. I use a Bard Cunningham clamp and 1 Depend pad per day.
It works for me.

I’ve had many surgeries in my time but never one for my bladder issues. I’ve become comfortable with my life style(or lack of) and I dont like any of the options for my kind of UI and none of them are a 100% cure so I wear diapers and that’s what I do and I don’t plan on changing that for as long as I can see. Just my preference is all but I don’t know if the pain/recovery/issues are worth the risk. I’m sure there are some who’s issues aren’t as irreversible as mine and a surgery might be a great option!! I say do your research and find your way to deal with it and move forward!! Best app f luck to you all!!

To be honest no. My Doctor and urologist have both said surgical help may r may not make some improvement but both agreed if I can manage as I am it would be the best option. I am diabetic and over weight so any surgery would bring it's own risks. My wife always says she is happier with a husband in nappies than no husband.

Your a lucky man to have a good wife like that!! Life isn’t easy but there are ways to manage to make it as normal as possible

thanks all for all the feedback you have given me ive got to go and see my doctor on tuesday of next week so by then i may have made up my mind what to do i will let you all know

My wife is good with my wearing diapers because I have a medical condition that warrants use of diapers.However; she doesn't help me with my diapers nor would I really want her too unless she felt absolutely comfortable with helping me change my diapers.

The surgeries that I can qualify for are a urinary sling or implanting an artificial urinary sphincter (AUS). Neither is perfect and the AUS supposedly can erode tissues and require replacement after several years. Many people do benefit from these procedures though I haven't really considered trying.
I am not afraid of surgeries: had a radical prostatectomy (which is why I am incontinent) and recently had a knee replaced. The knee replacement is challenging in terms of rehab and pain but the outcome is great. As for my incontinence, I decided that I would rather go padded than try the surgeries. There is a cost for purchasing pullups and diapers but this has been an easy and comfortable solution.

been to see my gp doctor today after talking with them iam going ahead with the surgery iam going into hospital to have it done on tuesday 12/feb/2019. ive got to go in on the monday so they can do the pre op checks and then have surgery sometime tuesday i will let you all know how it goes

Very exciting for you!! I’m sure it will go great and bring you lots of relief!! Shushing you a speedy recovery!!