Worried about hospital

Inco24seven

Hospital appointment and very concerned. I am booked in for an orthopedic procedure , I should only be in for three or four nights. The thing is that I am incontinent 24/7 .All this information is on my hospital notes here in the Uk But I have never had to stop overnight in the six or seven years since I have lost my bladder function. I am very worried what the nursing staff on the wards will think. I know that I should be expressing my fears to my Continence Advisor , and they are very nice but the embarrassment I feel on my twice yearly visits really freak me out !! I am normally a very private person , I manage my all too frequent " accidents " with a mixture of Tena Slip diapers and booster pads .At night I also wear a pair of plastic pants in an attempt to prevent any leaks.
Not even sure if the hospital will allow this. I have been talking very discreetly to someone else who is incontinent and they tell me on past experience that my NHS hospital doesn't encourage for hygiene reasons.😧 Thank you for letting me share my problem with you.

HI, i guess you can just explain your situation to the nurses where you recover after the surgery. Easiest will probably be if they insert a catheter for a few days. That way you will be without worries and can concentrate on your orthopedic recovery.

I think Eden98 is right
A catheter (external/internal) might be a good short term choice as you are in the hospital recovering.

I have been in the hospital many times with all different interactions to my incontinence.
During the last surgery, I woke up to a nurse sitting at my bedside like always. She started my wake-up by looking at my chart and then got upset. The operating room removed the catheter and then inserted it during the surgery. Luckly my own diapers were in my bag in the room but she was not happy with the surgery team.

Be open with the doctors. They have seen it all. Let them know how you want things handled. I know it is different in UK but just let them know and then see what they say.

NOTE..
Sorry. I need to correct part of this ** I use Grammerly for spell checker I allowed it to correct for better understanding** The O.R. put a catheter in during surgery and then removed it before sending me to recovery.

The nurse was very upset because they could have left it is until I was fully awake.