Women - night time incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Need recommendations on best products for preventing leaks at night. Have 88 year old mom whose sleep is interrupted because she is soiling her pjs and top sheet frequently at night despite wearing adult diapers. Want something that will keep her and her clothes dry at night. She's a side sleeper,if that makes a difference.

Urinary

It makes a huge difference that she is a side sleeper. A high capacity adult diaper is required. Dry 24/7 is one of them and the new Northshorecare.com mega max is another. Abena makes a high capacity diaper as well as Seni and a few others. You may have to try a bunch of different ones before you settle on one that works well for you.

Another good one is better dry. It’s will be a trial and error process until you find one that works for her.

What brand and style is she using now? Is she taking medication that is causing more output, or is it a matter of an ill fitting garment?

At night, she is using Depend Night Defense underwear for women - medium size. In talking with my dad, he says Mom just sleeps through the night and is soaking her clothes each night. Last night, she got up about 4 am to change. If she takes a laxative, she's had bowel accidents as well. She's not taking any meds to cause more output. Thanks for asking.

I would try something from one of the online incontinence companies. I use North shore care. If she prefers the pullups, they have the GoSupreme Underwear with thinner legs, if that is where she is leaking. If you can get her to wear a diaper style brief with tapes, that might be a better option. They also sell booster pads for extra absorbency.

I was leaking through pullups during the night and was initially resistant to transition to the diaper style. When I first started wearing them I felt they were extremely bulky and noisy. Now my only regret is I hadn't used them sooner. I get a full night's sleep, my significant other gets a full nights sleep, I don't leak on my clothing and bedding, and odor issues have decreased considerably.

I use Daycare 24/7. Northshore and most companies offer free samples.

Jkhtexas said:
At night, she is using Depend Night Defense underwear for women - medium size. In talking with my dad, he says Mom just sleeps through the night and is soaking her clothes each night. Last night, she got up about 4 am to change. If she takes a laxative, she's had bowel accidents as well. She's not taking any meds to cause more output. Thanks for asking.

That is the problem. Pull-ups are essentially useless. Cloth backed diapers are not that good either. A plastic backed diaper is a must for night.

Has anyone tried the new willow disposible underwear. I saw it on facebook, you can gegt a free sample for 14 days. You have to cancer before 14 days are up or the will assume you like them and stare SENDING THEM TO YOU ALL THE TIME.I called and the lady says they hold up to a liter of liquid. I sent for the samples , and have to pay 2.99 for postage. They are suppose to not bunch upin the back anf suppose to b more dicreet. OI now wear long top to cover muy backside because sometimes it shows a bump in the back. I am fearing when short tops come back in what I will do. I thought it was worth a try. I hope to get some responses on this. I am sure I am not the only one that saw the add. Thanks for you time

They are absolutely terrible. From what I’ve read on them the pad peels off the underwear and sticks to legs and clothing, causing an already leaky product to leak even further.

They are better are marketing than they are at manufacturing. Id rate them below a Depend flex fit in terms of absorbency. Comfortable, but not absorbent

Thank, for your replies, I quess I will try them and if I don't like them Ill reply back and not get any more.

d649da481e7865e332a5d4a3afcb3706.jpg
b5923d20d536e3a32f6cf677a694ee00.jpg

Jkhtexas said:
Need recommendations on best products for preventing leaks at night. Have 88 year old mom whose sleep is interrupted because she is soiling her pjs and top sheet frequently at night despite wearing adult diapers. Want something that will keep her and her clothes dry at night. She's a side sleeper,if that makes a difference.

Urinary

I can totally relate. It's been a struggle for me at my age and must be more difficult for her. Over the years I've learnt that side sleeping has always ended up in some leak, even though I was basically on the best briefs I could find. And I would also have bowel accidents which has become an every night thing for me.
This may not seem much of a solution other than better/more secure briefs but I sleep on my back, reduce the chance of a leaks and more importantly Uri's.
Honestly pull ups are pretty useless. I've never managed to use them at all and basically rely on them during the day as well, I guess you can't have more comfort+discreet and security. Had to choose one -.- sigh.
Hope my advice can help at least a little,

better dry diapers with northshore large boosters. no way those will leak...or the Abena Abri-Let Maxi boosters.

a more costly set up but will be very very effective. I wet close to every single night and I think I've had maybe 3 or 4 small leaks onto the top sheet in the last year.

Washable cloth diapers and plastic pants might work better for side sleepers. The lack of padding on the sides is an issue with any disposable nappy.