Wishful Thinking

Archives1

Staff member
I may be the only one or in the minority, but I wish the diaper companies like Huggies,Pampers & Luvs would come out with adult versions of their diapers...especially the Pull Up style.I know it would be hard to manufacture but here is to dreaming. I just think baby diapers are so superior to adult diapers, that we could probably benefit from having a better diaper to project us. As Luvs says...they protect from blow outs...lol😀 Just a thought and rant. Don't persecute me please!

That's what I'm saying! Something like the Pampers Easy Ups or another brand of pull up diapers that Pampers, Luvs, Huggies has on market right now.

It comes down to bottom line. Probably not a big market for them since there are many other companies out there.

We’ve had this discussion before. Those same parent companies *do* manufacture the adult diapers. Keep in mind: baby’s diapers often leak; they’re not foolproof, either! Furthermore, I’d never wear a diaper as bulky as a baby diaper!

Hi @snow, we have had this discussion before somewhat recently and you have an excellent point about baby diapers being bulky which by necessity they have to be! And I, too, would never wear something as bulky as that.

They probably won't make them plastic backed either. Most of the baby diapers nowadays are cloth backed and use elastic tabs similar to one made by depend. I remember while wearing a depend stretch side diaper something caught my attention, I noticed that it had some kind of stamped print on it and after looking at one with a magnifying glass it had prints of stars and moons on it!, but all white only no color. This really surprised me if I recall goodnights had this print awhile back. That's probably as close as they will ever be made in adult sizes.

Another point to this discussion is sizing, especially in pull-ups for adults. Baby diapers and then toddler pull-ups have a wide range of sizes. When you look at these products in adult lines you see a huge difference. The pull-ups come in very few sizes and use the elasticity of the pant to fit a wide range of body sizes and shapes. Shelf space in retail stores is valuable "real estate" Stores want to stock as few variations as possible. The same problem confronts the manufacturers. They want to manufacture a minimum number of variations within their product line. It all adds up to less selection. We are very fortunate that there is the diversity of products available.

Just playing the Devil's advocate here but what would be the difference (other than the prints) between an "Adult Luvs/Huggies/Pampers" and the present premium pull-ups like Abena's Abri-Flex, Molicare's Mobile, and Northshore's GoSupreme?

For one thing, goodnites go up further in the front and the back. And the sides are smooth, not like the bumpy thermal like material in most adult pull-ups. Also a better waistband

I think the baby diapers seem to have morr coverage front to back. Especially in the pull up diapers. Most adult pull up diapers are a paper thin around the waist with a thick pad sewn in the middle. Even if they could make a plastic pull up with same coverage as a brief, that would work too.

The last thing I want is a diaper that’s even higher in the front and the back. I’ve actually recently been cutting down my pull-ups because there’s no reason they need to stick up above my pants’ waistlines for the world to see.

@mhart82 If you think adult diapers don’t exist that are as thick and bulky as baby diapers, you clearly haven’t tried every make and model that’s available.

Rearz....found some samples on Amazon and tried them. Definitely great for night time but maybe not so much if you are going out in public.
I have to give them credit. Very comfy and was definitely dry waking up. Kudos to them.

I have used the major brands available over the years and the one thing that I will say is lacking with some of the products I have tried is consistency.. Baby diapers are inspected so much that there is very rarely an issue with a pack.. I have had hole cases of product have pin holes, bad tabs, wings that were miss cut and even a few times had no padding in the back.

I use to wonder why Depends, the most common name-brand adult diaper that you find in most stores, seems to be the worst product that most of us have tried. And I base that on what I read around the internet from people who use incontinence products. The usual complaint is that the Depends tape-on diaper-like products are not absorbent enough.

Then I read an article explaining that regulations require nursing homes to change their residents every two hours, so super absorbent products are not needed, and would be a waste of money. The article also said that most incon-product manufacturers are targeting that part of the market, hence the reason that their products seem a little skimpy on absorbency. This may all be true, but I doubt the average person who buys adult diapers at their store is looking for a product that they have to change every two hours during the night!!

As far as the GOOD adult diapers, like ConfiDry 24/7, Abena, Molicare... Well, I've never seen those anywhere except online.

@MikeD9876 I much prefer Depends. I’m not into sitting around all day in a wet, stinky, rash-inducing diaper. And they’re the only product that fits under women’s pants.

Snow... Yes, Depends do work for some people's needs. But I've found them quite lacking for night time, when I'd really like to get a good nights' sleep. Also, on a long road trip, they don't work for me. This last summer, we drove out west.. There were several spots where the rest stops were closed for Covid, and we had long drives between towns. My ConfiDry 24/7 diapers did the job, where a Depends wouldn't.