Weight loss and oab

Archives1

Staff member
I am well aware that i need to lose weight regardless of my bladder but I’ve had a doctor tell me that losing weight can often reverse and completely resolve oab and urge incontinence. Has anyone else seen such advise?

I sorta doubt it is correct because I highly doubt everyone dealing with UUI and OAB are 50lb over weight.

My doctor said the same thing. He said the weight pushing on the bladder will put more strain on the muscle which in time will weaken. I have to wear diapers 24/7.

Yeah. My formerly controlled OAB is now acting up to a point where I’m also in diapers 24/7. If losing the weight will get me out of this situation I’ll start busting my ass in the gym first thing in the morning.

@Newbie2this I've also been advised to get rid of some weight, easier said than done in my case! Phil

I need to drop some weight too. My hunting pants are tighter this year lol. I usually wear sweat pants and shorts. So didn't really notice.

I have lost 40 pounds hoping it would help my OAB. Hasn’t helped. Docs just want everyone to lose weight because it is healthier. Unfortunately, my bladder remains the same.

@Newbie2this I had weight loss surgery and I have lost over 125 lbs but it hasn't changed my incontinence any I am still diapered 24/7
817dd08a6dbac48f442e8cab1e67454a.jpg

Thanks for the info and experience. I’m gonna go ahead and lose the weight. Worst case scenario I can buy medium diapers and save a little cash over large/xlarge.

When you have the weight loss surgery. How do you stop dropping weight when you reach your target weight? And congrats on your progress.

@Newbie2this

I have lost 50 lbs and I am 5 feet 8 and 110 lbs with a BMI of 15 and have NEVER been overweight and I still have the same symptoms to the same degree. DPCARE lost 125 lbs which is more than what I weigh at 110 lbs and it didn't resolve his OAB either.

Good luck on your mission. If it works for you great and then you will be the first person I have heard that achieved the desired results through weight loss.

Obviously we are all difference. However, one way to tell if weight loss will help is if bending over to pick up something, tie shoes, etc, causes a squirt, or however much.
Newbie2this: sorry, but maybe most Americans who are 50 pounds overweight might not have UII/OAB, but might be 20% or better. We may be the fattest nation on earth. It probably depends on factors that Doctors can't tell us about because they don't know, but physiologically, it makes sense, if you study our anatomy. Lost about 40 pounds, have 40+ to go, and things have improved. But how do i tell why? I've also gotten better at anticipating and clamping down. My brain has had time to heal. Is it that? Paying more attention to diet? A combination?
I don't see how they could do a double-blind study, but they could take really big numbers of people and compare for statistics, if nothing else. The next problem is getting enough people who admit it and are willing to join the study - and finding who and why others wouldn't.

Thanks for all the feedback. I also wonder if the excessive may provide the release rather than the weight loss. My physical therapist said excessive is important. She always talked about excesses and never mentioned weight loss the docs all harp on that.

I wonder if the workouts results in muscle tone in the upper leg and lower trunk that help the bladder hold.

Strength training and weight loss is beneficial for overall health. Even if it does not help your incontinence. It is good for your fitness. It even helped my marksmen ship. I was starting to not shoot as well as i used to. I started concentrating on wrist and shoulder strength. Im back on target now.

I was at 275, fat, when my urge IC started. Went on Keto, lost almost 70 lbs....no change whatsoever to my IC.....doctors also told me losing weight would probably help.

I honestly just think doctors have it in their script to just tell everyone to lose weight....even when weight probably has nothing to do with the issue.....same with smoking...any symtpom you have = "you should stop smoking" and "you should lose weight".....ok doc.

Now, there might be a bit of truth to it...I'm sure being obese can put some added pressure on your bladder and probably doesn't help matters, but all of this stuff seems neurological and weight probably has little if anything to do with the actual cause...

Not sure what to say, MikeJames. I've never smoked, ever, and ran into a doctor last year who insisted i must have. I'd had a clean chest x-ray for another purpose, too.
I have had that constant "lose weight" thing to. Okay, I get it. Now, weight has been studied (to death, I suspect). Incontinence, not much. So i suspect you're right. They just harp on it, when they don't know: except we are all different (another thing they don't want to admit) so weight loss has helped some - except how do you pin it down?
you have a right to be cynical, far as I'm concerned.

I guess this weight loss thing could be easily disproved or maybe supported if we could somehow determine a percentage of people who have OAB/UI who have never been overweight or obese before during or after onset. Not sure where to start on something like that but the data must exist.

@AlasSouth

Right on brother. No two people are the same. Not even twins have the same chemistry but good luck finding a doctor that will admit the facts.

I've heard it helps some people. I sure wish that was part of my problem. I weigh 118 and am 5'4" so not overweight at all (age 26) and that's my heaviest so far. Been between 118-123 for about 3 years. Accidents have never stopped being a problem for me, but hey it could work for some people. If it does, great. ☺