Wearing Diapers in the Hospital

Archives1

Staff member
I think I or someone already posted about this but I will again. I am going into the hospital Thursday morning for an Lumbar Puncture(Spinal Tap).Therefore, I have to lay flat on my back for 6 to 8 hours afterwards in the hospital.
I wear diapers on a daily basis 24/7 and wanted to know what to expect in regards to my diapers and such. Will they keep me in my diapers if I tell them I rely on them or will they try to cath me? Anyone have any insight?

Most clinics and hospitals will respect your wishes and allow you to use whatever is most comfortable to you and are willing to help in anyway they can. I would call ahead and have a conversation about what your needs are and that should help negate any questions once you get there!!

Lots of people wear diapers in hospitals. My experience has been that hospital supplied diapers are of rather low quality. So if you have a preferred brand, by all means bring a supply with you.

I had a spinal tap when I was in the hospital and nobody said anything about them.i’m sure they won’t care but they might ask incase its because of a health issue they dont know about.

Speak up and everything will be fine. I just got out of the hospital for bowel surgery and had a catheter in when I woke up. It was taken out the next day. I let the surgery intake nurse know of my bed wetting issue. The catheter was ordered out on day two and I let the nurse know that I had bed wetting issues. It was noted in my chart and I was asked how I handled it at home and I answered that I used a diaper but could hardle it myself. Once they got me up and walking I started having dribbling issues and used an arena 11 pad to keep dry. The only issue was that in the hospital I was in the patient care tech is who deals with this type of thing So make sure to let them know or you could have the issue that I did on my last day. I had X-rays every morning. The last morning they came in a 5am and I was in a wet diaper and the new tech came in after to help me get cleaned up. I was on a floor were everyone is listed as fall risk so the tech was going to get me cleaned up. Luckily the nurse came in and said I was okay to get out of bed and take care of myself. Big Thing is just be up front, every every person on my pod had incontinence issues. Most were in Diapers the hole time. It is not a big deal. I was the youngest person on my floor and they knew that I could take care of myself.

They will avoid catheters if at all possible. Catheters present a high risk for infection. If you tell them you’re incontinent and manage with diapers that’s how it’ll go. Bring your preferrred diaper with you, Hospital diapers are no good. I’ve come home in them before. I have light incontinence, and they work ok for me but they’re not good for anything other than light incontinence.

In December, I had knee replacement surgery and was in the hospital 2 days and 1 night. I let my surgeon know about incontinence before hand. Everyone was totally professional and helpful. The anesthesiologist even talked to me for awhile about the cause of my incontinence(prostate cancer surgery 4 years ago) and how that is probably under reported. As the knee replacement operation took slightly less than 1 hour, no catheter. The hospital diapers did suck and badly so I was happy to don my own the next morning. As others have said, hospitals see lots of incontinent patients.