Waking up with a soiled diaper

Archives1

Staff member
I've been to the doctors for this. He can't figure out the problem other than telling me that I might becoming fully incontinent. The sphincter muscle is becoming weak. Well, the story is that I have been waking up more and more in the morning with not just a soaked diaper but a soiled one at that. Thank god for diapers or I would have a horrible mess to clean up. Waking up to a smell of a soiled diaper is not what I want to be doing most morning's. I really haven't changed my eating habits at all. It's not everyday this happens. It does happen 2 to 3 times a week. I have a clean bill of health the doc said and doesn't really understand why this is happening. Anyone have any ideas or had this or also is having this problem also?

you said something in this post I can seriously relate to

"waking up to a smell of a soiled diaper is not something I want to be doing most mornings"

especially on mornings where you just want to relax or take it slow

JWT, I’m sorry to hear you now have to deal with this little morning surprise as well. On the other hand immediately following my accident I was full bowel & bladder incontinent and over time and a lot of PT I got back about 90% control of my bowels after almost 2 years. Thank God for my eternal optimist Physical Therapist / Continence Advisor! After a surprise BM during a stretching exercise, seeing my face turn purple with rage & embarrassment she simply said “You must feel much better getting that out of you, just think about that poor diaper!” Still beet red instead of purple with embarrassment, she responded with “ I’m sorry, the diaper doesn’t really care what you put in it, that’s why you hired it!”
That’s it, quick break for cleanup and back to cracking the whip.I hope you don’t think I’m making light of this development, she taught me a lot, and with a lot of humor. This has taught me and my wife to do the same. Again this is never a welcome development, how are you going to read the morning paper now? I still wake up with these occasional surprises a few times a month, but I always put on a good coat of barrier cream before bed, it’s good for the skin and it makes clean up so much easier. I also wear a waterproof pant with cloth or disposable as it seals any smells much better.
I think we’ve all learned our bodies at times run on their own agenda, I hope it doesn’t cause you too much distress, that can only make it worse.
Most important of all, your Doc gave you a clean bill of health which is always to be celebrated in my book!

I wish everyone who celebrates a Happy Easter!

Hi @Sprung87, It sounds like you have a really good PT and continence advisor! I like her sense of humor and that always goes well when we're dealing with embarrassing issues! I like her philosophy of the diaper not really caring "what you put in it, that's why you hired it!" She's a keeper!!

Humor! That's a wonderful strategy for dealing with incontinence. I love it!
I want to try to banish anger, humiliation, embarrassment and shame from my repertoire.

Banishing anger, humiliation, embarrassment and shame from your repertoire is a great goal, @boasammy! All the best in achieving it!!!!

I have had too many bowel accidents to even count. I agree that the worst is waking up soiled. That has only happened a few times to me but anytime is too much. Most times I get a strong feeling and wake up and mess before even rolling out of bed. Some accidents are full-on diarrhea, some are mush. Nothing makes sense and I never know what it is going to be.

All I know is that I am in pain all the time so.

One thing that I have said in a few posts is that I don't eat before doctors' appointments because of the chance of an accident going up. Well, that is going to change because some of my physical therapy appointments later this month are later in the day so, no choice but to eat before. I also am just going to live my life and get on with it.

this was me today

waking up with an extremely soiled diaper. not the nicest of starts at 1 A.M in the morning, and then I didn't go back to sleep- kept messing, and eventually wet myself

good morning emily!. lol

I had a pretty unpleasant episode recently that had me on antibiotics for 6 straight weeks. It really messed up my stomach, and a couple of nights I woke up to a soiled diaper diaper. Horrible experience, but at least I'm already in diapers at night and it isn't a soiled bed.

I'm sure we've all been their (unpleasant episodes, I mean), and probably some of us the soiled bed thing. I remember some times myself, and the most embarrassing part was that on all ocasions, it wasn't even my bed.