Waking up dry

Archives1

Staff member
I am usually dry in the morning now, but almost always wet as soon as I turn over in bed. Is this an indication of muscle control? I was diagnosed oab which I felt was my urologist's acknowledgement that we may not know the actual cause of my incontinence. I am, of course, curious to know if this is improvement in that muscle control and if it will be followed by more? Any thoughts?

I am never wet at night but during the day, all bets are off. I think OAB is kind of a "catch-all" when the true cause of incontinence can be pegged. I can go days without an issue and then like last night I get an overwhelming urge out of seemingly nowhere and flood myself. It is just something I have come to accept.

I agree the other night didn,t wet at all then the next couple days was really wet.I wish I had the answer would be rich.

Yes, but saw no change. I've heard someone say it might take a much longer time (than I gave it) to see results. I think I've been resigned to wearing protection. When that happens, I think the tendency is to forget about the other options. One thing I won't do is resort to medications unless they come up with something that does work, but without the severe side effects.

I tried medications years ago with no success. I'm not anxious to going the medicine route now. My neurogenic bladder was diagnosed 20 years ago and because I've had bedwetting and daytime leaking issues my whole life my Euro. suggested I had it from birth. Usually this is diagnosed with some other health condition like spina bif. or other neurological issue but I have nothing other than the lack of communication between my brain and bladder. I only regret not knowing this when I was 10 so I wouldn't have beat myself up over my lack of control always thinking I could "will" it to change. I probably wouldn't have felt any better about wearing diapers to bed as a teenager but would have at least understood it was a condition out of my control.

Jeff.
If by turning over, you mean from your back to your side or stomach, then the leaking is because the bladder has moved from a lower position to a higher position. I am fully incontinent, but always sleep on my back. In that position, my bladder gets full enough to wake me. On a few occasions, I've gone to the toilet and (I pee into a calibrated urinal) measured nearly 400 cc. My urologist calls my situation "positional incontinence."

G