Urine Retention

Archives1

Staff member
I am 76 year old in good health except for retaining large amounts of urine. Since I have prostate seeds from 20 years ago, the various TURP options are not good. There is no back up into my kidneys and that has been confirmed with multiple MRI. I feel fine and live an active happy life but worry the retention problem will impact my kidneys sometime in the future.

Can you not self catheterize to remove the retained urine and thus stop or at least reduce the chances of Kidney damage? Hope you get some relief soon, Good Luck

Perhaps that may be a wise option. I would prefer another approach, such as trying a new medicine that folks have had good luck with.

Hi George, not much luck with meds for me. I'm self Cathing several times a day and trying to decide if I should stick with this or try surgery. There are so many horror stories about surgery, that I don't know what to do. Cheers Phil

I would definitely look into self catheterization for the short term relief then wait to see what new meds may help you. I have never had retention problems just the opposite lots of leakage Hope you find relief soon best of luck

George, CIC here also,4-6 times per day, the new catheters from Coloplast you can carry in your pocket, very easy to use. But personally here I must go in for a large Foley catheter to use for about a week or longer. As my bladder neck is just plain screwed up with my neurogenic bladder. This gives my bladder rest time as my urologist calls it. And a little time off from CIC. Plus dilation. I just email my PCP's nurse and she asks me when I want to come in to see her. I like the flexibility

If you do decide to do a TURP be sure to get a very definitive assessment from your doctor on will you likely suffer from permanent incontinence, and how bad will the incontinence be. I had a 2nd TURP (and after prostate cancer radiation treatment to boot) and never discussed this issue with the doctor (he didn't bring it up & I didn't know this was a potential long-term effect). If I had known then what I know now, I likely would have gone a different route with my treatment.

Thank you. Did you have prostate seeds? My urologist stated because of my seeds a Turp would not be advisable.

I had a procedure called High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy. The radiation is delivered via seeds, but they are only inserted temporarily, to deliver the radiation, and then removed. When I had my 2nd TURP my urologist said I had some sort of blockage in my bladder neck, which he felt like needed to be removed. Evidently he removed too much tissue, as I have had constant drippage ever since. Compared to most people on this site, my problem is very minor, more of an annoyance than anything, but what I learned from my experience is to really understand the long-term implications, both good & bad, about any serious medical treatment you are considering. Good luck with it!