Urinary retention after surgery

Archives1

Staff member
Sister had robotic Inguinal hernia repair 11 days ago. Still can’t pee on own so self cath for now. Not sure what urologist told her yesterday, but she’s very down and frustrated dealing with this on top of the hernia surgery. Any other women have similar situation? How long does it take to get bladder working again properly and anything she can do in meantime to help urine to start to flow properly again?

@Rsaah: I am sorry your wife is experiencing urinary retention. I had to review the literature. I had same procedure in 2022. Did not have that complication. I was quite surprised to see that it does occur. It does explain why they want patients to void before leaving the facility. It appears that it is more frequent for males with BPH. So this is vexing and the urologist is going to have to figure it out.

My complication related to diarrhea due to being on a stool softener post surgery. That was when I discovered the better quality pull-up so at least I could safely work via Zoom at my desk in guest bedroom. Little did I know I would now need post radiation therapy for prostate.

Good luck to to her and you are wonderful for doing what you can to support her.

Hernias in women are very rare, so the odds are that the scant four women who are active on this forum have not had one.

@Rsaah - Hi Rsaah. I had an inguinal hernia when I was pregnant. It was just this bulge in my groin area. It was not painful, and it didn't get any worse even picking up my toddler. Apparently it wasn't serious, because I was told that it would resolve itself upon delivery. I experienced no problems during labor and delivery when it came time to push. I am so sorry that your sister has to deal with this, especially given the complication of urinary retention. Can't imagine what that feels like. Let us know when she us able to get this taken care of. - Pam