Urinary retention 24 year old female

Archives1

Staff member
After giving birth I found out I could not pee. I had a urodynamics test done and my urologist says my bladder muscle is not gettting the message to urinate. I’m currently self-cathertering. My urologist says bladders sometimes just stop working, but I am worried there might be something neurologically wrong. Should I go see a nurologist? I guess I am just trying to wrap my head around self cathetering for the rest of my life or if there is a chance it will start working again. Thank you!

Definitely see a neurologist. Do you get full and leak or just very uncomfortable? Are you using intermittent catheters or a Foley catheter? A Foley might make things easier for you. A friend of mine had a similar problem after a car accident and after several bladder infections, one that spread to his kidneys and almost killed him, he had a sphincteronomy procedure done. That would be an extreme measure and last resort. So make sure everything is sterile and clean before inserting the catheter. Also make sure you sink some cranberry juice to help fight any possible infection.

@Spaz I don't leak at all, it's just sever urinary retention. I've been using intermittent catheters and have been keeping the output between 200 and 400 cc's. I don't feel anything until I'm around 700 cc's. My largest output was around 2 liters right after birth, so I've been diagnosed with a large bladder as well. I had a foley catheter for the first three weeks (one foley catheter each week). They said the straight catheters are better regarding infections. I'll start drinking cranberry juice. Thank you!

Hello, I had pelvic floor surgery 3 weeks ago and now cannot pee at all. My md said my bladder muscle was weak but expects it will come back. Of course I fear it won’t but am determined to do everything I can to get it back.
It must be hard having this stres along with recovering from giving birth and caring for a new baby.

Hello @Cathycalisch . It's an adjustment for sure. The catheter use has been getting easier. I hope your recovery has been going well.

Just in case any new moms are out there that experienced urinary retention after a vaginal birth. My neurological bladder has improved and I only have to self cath once in a blue moon. It took about ten months to get better. This happens very rarely and most doctors do not know why it happens. If you need any moral support or more information, feel free to contact me on here.

Hi Cathy. Welcome to retention world. I'm glad they got you off Foleys. Those (for me) become unbearably uncomfortable. It might be that I only used them after surgery for I dunno... A week?+ Anyway the intermittent ones they have now are so much better and the newer ones have made cathing (for me) a non event. Its "normal" and its not uncomfortable, it doesn't take any great deal of time.

If your looking for a good cath the speedi cath is good. No having to lubricate it and the women's one (That some genius sent me by accident) are so small they aren't going to be one of those "Hey whats that? Can I borrow your pen?" SIGH. A new one that I tried that is good is the CompactCath https://www.compactcath.com/ Both Coloplast and Compactcath give out free samples so try both. I think should help make it a non factor.
BTW your bladder is amazing!! Mine is 250 mL and if I try to void without a cath I can get maybe 150mL out making my trips back and forth to the bathroom an all day long hike. Plus having urine retain (if thats the word) is a magnet for UTIs which none of us wants.

Can I ask how you don't let your bladder overload? Do you have some kind of schedual or do you do some sort of measurement of fluid intake to reckon the output?

Hola soy nuevo en este medio.
Mi problema es que tengo una megavejiga hipoactiva con retención la cual se vacío con un cateterismo vesical intermitente como solución al problema y por lo poco que he leido de tu problema padeces algo parecido.y mi pregunta es si te han ofreciodo algun apoyo o solucion ya que a mi en su momento me hicieron varias operaciones de neuromodulacion de las raices sacras que no hizo ningun efecto positivo y fueron retirados los materiales..
te dejo la direcion de mi blog donde cuento mas detalladamente le historia de mi problema urologico por si quieres mas informacion. unamegavejigaenmivida.blogspot.com
gracias por adelantado y subo a foro para buscar y encontrar apoyo de mas enfermos..
saludos.
J.
M.Gallardo.