Urge to urinate tingling can’t sleep

Archives1

Staff member
I’ve read a lot of these post and can’t find one that is what I’m experiencing or maybe I don’t understand what’s happening to me. I have this continuous urge to urinate even after I’ve just did. I know sometimes my bladder doesn’t totally empty, another problem after my prostate removal, but even after two three trips back to urinal it still is tingling. I had same problem with catheter in and almost drove me crazy. I took advil (trying anything) and that helped. But can’t keep taking those. Anyone had/have this issue? This forum is a Godsend. If for nothing else to know your not alone.

I had similar, but after the biopsy. It lasted about 2weeks. Nothing really helped it. Sorry can't be more helpful.

Is it "spasms" or "tingling"? Either one - if they're not the same, can keep you awake and needing to get up to pee way too often to rest. Not that easy to describe. Enablex (darfenicin) is just one of the prescription anti-spasmatics meds that help me.
I avoid caffinee, after about 2 PM, but now the artificial sweetner sucralose (or maybe that & other ingredients in "ICE" (a zero calorie flavored drink) seems to really set me off, lately, where it didn't before. Why the change? Only the Shadow knows.
Those artificial sweetners seem to affect different people differently.

Thank you both. Yes, I get up to pee every hour 40 mins. I am not sure if my bladder is totally emptying either. I guess if it’s spasms maybe the bladder is cutting my flow off??? It’s been about two weeks since surgery I hope it stops at some point. Oh! Last night I took advil and it eventually stopped enough to get to sleep. But can’t keep taking that. I’m call Dr.today.

I am 3 weeks post surgery and experienced something similar. I have now been prescribed Myrbetriq and it has been getting better. Post catheter I was up hourly at night. I’ve been on Myrbetriq for a week and last night was my best night. 2.5 hours between bathroom breaks.

I'm not a man so no prostate but drinking about a glass of water hourly until about 5 pm instead of other drink after about a week helped calm and organize at bladder condition to reliable times and lack of sensations n bladder.
After 5 I have to init water to maybe two glasses until 11 pm bed

I had this after my surgery - it drove me nuts. Combination of urge to pee, tingling and general urethral discomfort. My mind was constantly on that part of my body. It subsided over many weeks (I am 20 weeks past surgery) but still crops up. If you are like me take heart - it does get better. Certain kinds of spicy foods set it off. I have no idea what it is medically and would like to know if anyone has knowledge.

@Esheelion - You said you are 2 weeks post surgery. For me, that was the most problematic period during recovery. I had a similar experience. (I am now 15 weeks post surgery.) Two important things to do are Kegel exercises, 3 to 6 sets per day, and have patience. Try to relax and give your body time to recover. Once your bladder functions start to improve, gradually start walking daily. Exercise speeds up the recovery. I highly recommend Michelle Kenway, a physiotherapist on YouTube. She has a recent posting of a real time Kegel work out specifically designed for prostatectomy recovery. Be sure to get the correct technique. She has a video specifically on proper technique. I still do the exercises. Expect a three month process to get your bladder functions back to normal when doing Kegel exercises daily but every person is different. If I skip the exercises, the leakage resumes. So they really are important. Good luck.

The first 4_8 weeks are the absolute worst. Just gotta fight thru that. You measure improvement by the week.

Well, I'm not a man, but have similiar experience -- especially at night! So, I get up & pee. Get back in bed & feel like still have urine left that didn't get out. I believe that's called urinary retention. That's why I can't take Myrbetriq. It makes urinary retention worse!! So I'm laying there with this sensation in my Urethra telling me I have to pee again. Should I ignore it or get up & pee again. So, I think about the liquids I've consumed to try & judge if I really have to go. So, most of the time I have to convince myself I don't. I'm wondering, can men have OVERACTIVE BLADDER too? It's hard to go to sleep when I have this feeling of having to pee. Sometimes I'll distract myself by putting on a meditation CD from Centerpointe on my portable CD player. Or I listen to music by having Spotify on my cell phone. Or I watch TV & am able to distract myself by watching a series story like Outlander & I drop off to sleep. I know you're not supposed to watch TV in bed or keep your cell phone in your bedroom when you're sleeping. but works for me!

ALL this advice is great. Thank you. It has been driving me nuts two weeks today post op. I haven’t put a complete good day and night together yet. I will take every advice I was given here, exercise, Kegels, water consumption and all that. I will keep the faith. As for Kegels, @jcdunn101 thanks for the link. I’ve been practicing those but haven’t went to therapist yet to let me know if I’m doing them right. I will watch the video.