Upcoming Consultations for a Surgical Way Out of Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
I had a non-nerve sparing radical prostatectomy on May 27, 2021. I have spent many hours in PT and have done everything they asked me to do with home exercises. Based on my biofeedback and my symptoms of continued leakage, I feel I have plateaued. My quality of life is definitely compromised. I will have two consultations soon with Dr. Wolter at Mayo Phoenix and Dr. Gretzer at University of Arizona Cancer Center in Tucson. Does anyone have any experience with either doctor?

DrRick said:
I had a non-nerve sparing radical prostatectomy on May 27, 2021. I have spent many hours in PT and have done everything they asked me to do with home exercises. Based on my biofeedback and my symptoms of continued leakage, I feel I have plateaued. My quality of life is definitely compromised. I will have two consultations soon with Dr. Wolter at Mayo Phoenix and Dr. Gretzer at University of Arizona Cancer Center in Tucson. Does anyone have any experience with either doctor?

Hello DrRick;

Welcome to the NAFC. I don't have any experiences with those doctors. But I would recommend to not give up hope.

Incontinence and Urinary issues in general sucks. I have severe urgency and OAB due to what are called "bladder spasms" which cause continued bathroom trips sometimes up to 40+ times a day on its worst. I've had to wear protection due to the spasms and the pain. I suffer from enuresis during the night due to it as well. I'm only 29. Symptoms started at 26.

I've done the trial for the Inter Stim and have taken Mirabegron (Myrbetriq) for it with no success. The Myrbetriq only worked short term.

If you need anyone to talk to. We are here. We care; and we're listening.

Take care DrRick.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

AUS surgery set up for August 26th with Dr. Wolter at Mayo Phoenix. Disappointing consultation with Dr. Gretzer at University of Arizona Cancer Center in Tucson

Dr.Wolter is also my Urologist at the Mayo.
He did not do my Radical Prostatectomy but when my Mayo surgeon retired this is the Doc he referred me to.

My only experience with him , so far, is having him do a sling procedure to help with my incontinence.
The surgery was helpful but it did not do as much as I had hoped.
It got me out of Depends that I had used 24/7 for the prior 24 months ….but the surgery wasn’t a magic bullet.
Was it the quality of the surgery that Dr Wolter performed?
Or, just my personal condition and circumstance?
I don’t really know so I will give him the benefit of doubt.

I have no regrets at trying this before AUS. And it did improve my condition to the point where I now just wear a pad in case of a minor leak. Which does still happen on a daily basis depending on my activity level. I hike, play golf and and am still pretty active at 71.

But what I really wanted to share is that he mentioned a new method of doing the AUS procedure where it does not have to be replaced in 8-10 years. I believe he said it is not currently approved or maybe covered by insurance but it’s coming in a few years.
I chose to wait until that happens instead of doing the the current method of AUS.
Not sure of your circumstance but could be worth discussing if he hasn’t mentioned it.
Good luck and let us know what you decide

Appreciated your response Dwb. I am also pretty active at the age of 78 playing a lot of pickleball where my stress incontinence is an issue. I've had opinions ranging from self-catheterization to sling to AUS and I am at peace with the AUS which will be done on August 26th by Dr. Wolter. I will ask Dr. Wolter your question through the portal as he has not mentioned to me so far.

Dwb: Here is Dr. Wolter's response "the new model that I think he was referring to is not in production yet, and probably not until around 2025 at best."