Two weeks since new ostomy

Archives1

Staff member
I had my colon, rectum, and anus removed two weeks ago sure to extremely high cancer risk after many years of ulcerative colitis. The surgery went well, but I had extreme pain in the recovery area, then had several days of extremely low blood pressure because of the epidural they used to finally control the pain. I was hospitalized for five days, but when they discharged me, my bowel hadn't fully started working so I couldn't keep down any fluids. I had to go back to the ER after a few hours because I was getting dangerously dehydrated, and I spent another four days hospitalized after that.

After all that, though, it's been pretty smooth sailing. I shut off my Interstim before surgery as requested, but when I tried to turn it back on it said that the implanted unit had lost its memory, so I had to have the Interstim rep come to reset it. Fortunately I wasn't having a lot of bladder pain right then, so it wasn't that big a deal not to have it for a few days.

The biggest challenge for the next few months is going to be the incision where they remove my anus. It's a little harder than it should be for me to keep that area dry because of the diapers, but so far it doesn't seem to have created any problem. I've been letting it air out for a while after i shower, which is probably helping.

Other than that, it's just learning to live with the ileostomy. It's permanent - there's no reversing it because they removed my rectum and anus - so I've been a little worried about how thatll go. So far it seems fairly tolerable, though I've had to change wafers more often than I should because I've been having trouble getting them to stick to the skin close to the stoma. I think that's because the skin is irritated where the stitches are, so I'm hoping it gets better as the stitches dissolve. I've got an appointment with my stoma nurse to go over some different wafers that may help.

I will have my first visit from the home care nurse later this week to take a look at my incisions. The surgeon warned me that the anal incision would probably open up and require about three months to fill in from the inside, so I'll probably have the home nursing services for a while.

Really glad to hear from you after the knowledge you were going through this proceedure.
The expression that comes to mind is," youve got guts!" Yo express sdmiration for your stoically getting through all this and also a thank you for sharing so others can learn who are dealing with very difficult issues.i wisn i hzd an ounce of your strength.

Hopefully the life will vecone alot healthier and painfree as you go forward.

Hello Itapilot,

Keep up the positive attitude. I'm sure that I speak for the others when I wish you well on your new journey. We pray for your continued improvement.

Take care.

Regina

ltapilot said:
I had my colon, rectum, and anus removed two weeks ago sure to extremely high cancer risk after many years of ulcerative colitis. The surgery went well, but I had extreme pain in the recovery area, then had several days of extremely low blood pressure because of the epidural they used to finally control the pain. I was hospitalized for five days, but when they discharged me, my bowel hadn't fully started working so I couldn't keep down any fluids. I had to go back to the ER after a few hours because I was getting dangerously dehydrated, and I spent another four days hospitalized after that.

After all that, though, it's been pretty smooth sailing. I shut off my Interstim before surgery as requested, but when I tried to turn it back on it said that the implanted unit had lost its memory, so I had to have the Interstim rep come to reset it. Fortunately I wasn't having a lot of bladder pain right then, so it wasn't that big a deal not to have it for a few days.

The biggest challenge for the next few months is going to be the incision where they remove my anus. It's a little harder than it should be for me to keep that area dry because of the diapers, but so far it doesn't seem to have created any problem. I've been letting it air out for a while after i shower, which is probably helping.

Other than that, it's just learning to live with the ileostomy. It's permanent - there's no reversing it because they removed my rectum and anus - so I've been a little worried about how thatll go. So far it seems fairly tolerable, though I've had to change wafers more often than I should because I've been having trouble getting them to stick to the skin close to the stoma. I think that's because the skin is irritated where the stitches are, so I'm hoping it gets better as the stitches dissolve. I've got an appointment with my stoma nurse to go over some different wafers that may help.

I will have my first visit from the home care nurse later this week to take a look at my incisions. The surgeon warned me that the anal incision would probably open up and require about three months to fill in from the inside, so I'll probably have the home nursing services for a while.

So encouraging to hear your story, sorry that you are going through this of course but your strength helps all of us more than you know. Keep letting us know how you are doing. Love your courage. God loves you and knows all of our fears and worries. Your struggles are not forgotten and will not be in vain. Even if it doesn't feel like it, believe me your struggles and pains understood. Hope you began to have many more good days than bad. It takes time to heal but keep talking to us. This is one place you can feel safe and free to vent and also let us know you had a good day. My heart to yours. Take care of yourself and know you have many ears to hear you. Until we can talk again.

@ltapilot

I just had mine reversed but still have some pointeres for ya.

Get an ostomy belt from whoever makes you barriers. Also a blow dryer with a low setting helps a lot. Heating up the barriers a bit helps them stick. If you are not using barrier spray then get some.

All the major ostomy brands will give you a big sample pack with a lot of stuff to try out.

The ostomy nurses are great and sometimes have some tricks to do.

See if they have an ostomy belt for you, That is where I got my first one. They help a lot.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ThatFLGuy said:
@ltapilot

I just had mine reversed but still have some pointeres for ya.

Get an ostomy belt from whoever makes you barriers. Also a blow dryer with a low setting helps a lot. Heating up the barriers a bit helps them stick. If you are not using barrier spray then get some.

All the major ostomy brands will give you a big sample pack with a lot of stuff to try out.

The ostomy nurses are great and sometimes have some tricks to do.

See if they have an ostomy belt for you, That is where I got my first one. They help a lot.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the pointers, @ThatFlGuy! I appreciate your insights, since you had yours for a good while. I'm glad you finally were able to get it reversed - I've been following your posts on that, and I know you still have some challenges ahead. I hope you're able to get things worked out!

I've gotten active with a local support group, and I've gotten a lot of help from the people there. One of the members, who's had the same "Barbie butt" surgery I have, gave me a big stuffed with helpful stuff - belts that fit my system, barrier sprays and wipes, odor eliminator sprays, and pouch deodorant/lubricant packets, along with a ton of other stuff. That's been a huge help. My ostomy nurse is fantastic as well. Considering how little ostomy support I got from the people at the hospital, I'm glad I found the support group ahead of time!

Maymay941 said:
Really glad to hear from you after the knowledge you were going through this proceedure.
The expression that comes to mind is," youve got guts!" Yo express sdmiration for your stoically getting through all this and also a thank you for sharing so others can learn who are dealing with very difficult issues.i wisn i hzd an ounce of your strength.

Hopefully the life will vecone alot healthier and painfree as you go forward.

Thanks, @Maymay941! It's been a long road to get here, and I'm looking forward to a lot less pain as I continue on this journey.

I don't know if it's really strength I have, or just the resignation of realizing that I have to deal with it whether I like it or not. Nobody volunteers to have an ostomy or to be incontinent, and whichever problem we're facing, all we can do is try to manage it with grace, dignity, and humor.

Itapilot, I wish you continued strength, courage and healing. This big extended family of yours is hear to send you nothing but love, prayers and support. When I hear about what you and ThatFlGuy are going thru I think how lucky I am. There’s absolutely no reason for me to feel sorry for myself and I’m sure others here feel the same way. Thanks for sharing and may God continue to hold you in His Hands.