TSA Screening.

Archives1

Staff member
Several years ago, I was in line for my screening for my trip to Vegas, from Cleveland. As usual, you removed shoes and belt. Was requested to raise my arms, and when I did, my pants fell down to the floor, revealing my diapers and plastic pants for all to see. Nothing was ever said. Pulled my pants back up, got all my things and headed to my gate with my family. While waiting for my plane, a few people were bold enough to ask me why I was wearing a diaper and plastic pants. I told them I had some daytime incontinence, but mostly nighttime, and since it was a four hour flight, 2 bathrooms, and 250 people sharing the bathrooms, I wasn't taken any chances. Some confided that they had similar issues and asked where I got my supplies. Gave them the information, and nothing else was said. They thanked me for the information, and deeply apologized for asking personal information.

I can only hope that if I ever have a similar experience that I handle the matter as graciously as you did.

Not very good timing today, was it @justej? But you know everyone here wishes you the best for your travels today and that everything goes smoothly from DCA to MVY!
@artiejr, it seems kind of brazen for those people to say anything while you were at the gate. Although definitely kudos 😊😊to you for the way you handled it!!! You really kept your cool and turned it into an educational moment for some who didn't know. I literally have no idea how I'd react if it happened to me. My face would be as red as all of those hearts in the posts right up above!!😖
And another saving grace was some of those people said they had similar issues and wanted to know where you got your supplies. So you saved yourself from a potentially disastrous situation and helped out some people.

Well i made it through tsa. I didn’t go through the scanner thing cause I was in a wheelchair so I had a pat down. The kid was in training (I swear I always get the newbies.) so he was very polite. He had to have been dumb to miss the fact that I was wearing a diaper but he didn’t say anything. All good I’m at the gate.

Forgot to mention that all the people that approached me asked me first if it was OK to ask a personal question regarding my diapers and plastic pants.

Hi @artiejr, as I noted you really handled it in a very cool and gracious way. You must have had so many thoughts going on in your mind when that happened and the main thing is you didn't seem to be on the defensive. If the same thing had happened to me and people came up asked if they could ask a personal question, I may have easily gone on the defensive! But you have given everybody here an excellent lesson in how to handle such an intrusion calmly, cooly and rationally! Now if it were to happen to us in the heat of the moment, if we could only remember what you said!!!
@justej, good that you made it through!!! Maybe it worked out well that the TSA guy was a very polite newbie and he must have been well-trained in interacting with a disabled person.
Happy travels!!

If I remember correctly, it was 2 or 3. I tried to catch my jeans before they fell down, but wasn't fast enough.

artiejr: a model & a lesson for us all. You're pretty cool.
I had to fly in the first suit I've had in 20+ years, about 3 years ago - with suspenders. TSA seemed more worried about the metal clips. Wheel chair sometimes seems to help, actually.

TSA Pre is worth doing as the screening is less intrusive and usually only requires a metal detector. Travel caused me a ton of initial anxiety, but I’m good now and have had no issues with carrying on supplies.

Good on you. I think it's worth it, too. It seems like they are a little more polite, less inpatient. Make provisions for wheelchairs and canes. Give you a hand with getting the carry-ons up on the conveyer belt, catching up with your stuff as it comes out of the scanner.