Travel with Incontience

Archives1

Staff member
i have a leg injury so walk with a walker which most people think is a huge handicap altering my life. Not so. I get around by sheer determination and am well aware my problems are far less than many.
my nocturnal urination is what keeps me from getting on to desired travel to Europe solo or in a group.
The diapers are so bulky take up a suitcase and the need for extra clothing for accidents...
Not sure anyone can share travel experiences or anything helpful. The depression at being so plumbing oriented is real.

My biggest problem was a long flight, 6+ hours, and trying to change in the small cubicle they call a bathroom on an airplane. Next time, I'm taking plenty of booster pads. I was lucky to be flying to Hawaii, and took enough diapers for the trip, then bought some there. Not sure of the Europeans and their diaper situation. Good luck...

What brand diaper are you using? Many of the best ones can take 6-8 hours without any issues, even longer with a booster pad, but not good for the skin though. Another option is an external catheter and legbag with 1000 ml capacity, a good alternative to diapers if you can use them.

I have wondered about buying diapers overseas.My wife and I just got back off east trip and had to take a ton of diapers.My wife thinks its traveling with a child.

i tried comfit dry 24/7 but they are so bulky i cant sleep. i often end up toggling maxi pads to the inner thoghs of supermarket brands and use a peapod mat so i can actually sleep.
i will look to see if there external catheters for women.Thank you for the idea

my latest retort to anyone that might disparage my incontinence is to say, you better hope this NEVER happens to YOU.

I wonder if a group of people all of whom are disabled in one way or another could form a group for traveling together. It might be more of an organization for coordinating pairing compatible individuals, or it might be more of a cruise line. Who knows?

i had actually fantasized about the same concept.
i feel so alone. My incontinence has made me a hermit.

If your travel is more planned and less spontaneous you could possibly mail your diapers and supplies ahead of you to the places you plan on staying. That way you are only responsible for keeping up with what you will need between stops. Cost would be minimal and you wouldn't have to stand there while they checked your bags for explosives, always a treat when loaded with diapers. If you are driving then it is no issue. You may be able to locate online a source nearby for your supplies.

The other thing is, especially when away from home, don't worry about other people. I understand and live by the motto "discretion is everything" But when surrounded by others what does it matter that they may notice a budge. Chances are they are a lot less concerned about it, even if they know it is a diaper, than you are.

Hope this helps.

The point of this is simply 'get out there and try it!'

In most cases, travel will probably be done on your own and you might even amaze yourself that you can manage it.

For some, a travel companion who is aware of your incontinence needs might be helpful. Or, venture out on your own as a trial. Short travel, as in overnight, for starters.

Finding a travel partner who also lives with incontinence can work well, but ONLY after coming to know that person through a number of prior meetings. This would defintely be the exeption, but still do-able if you seek that option.

The idea of locating and organized travel activity (such as a cruise or road trip) for those with a disability or incontinene would be difficult to find, let alone set up. We are too widely scattered geographically to come together in numbers.

An incontinence support group, if you can locate one, could be a benefit in connecting people. I've seen these type of things organized by the Simon Foundation For Continence and held to provide information at certain disability themed expos around the USA. One I attended some time ago brought together many, in one room, who lived with incontinence -- their reasons for it were widely varied.

Which brings up a question I've often pondered: Is incontinence considered a disability? If so, would this allow us an opening to disability accessible travel or cruises?

It still falls back to the individual, I believe. I've done a bunch of travel solo and a few time with a female partner who was also INCO. It worked well for both of us; but, I do NOT minimize the effect that incontinence plays during travel time. It takes a LOT of planning.

I've found that with another, there is that sharing aspect of both humor and tension moments when getting through the day. How it is faced head-on determines the success of what you plan. When you MAKE it work, the rewards are the greatest.

This is a very good topic and should motivate us to share our informaton and encouragement.

My thoughts...