Too wet for words!

Archives1

Staff member
Hey there. I'm one more guy with prostate CA. Had a prostatectomy. Good for a while, but you know the rest.
Two of my great pleasures are traveling and biking but can't stay dry long enough to enjoy. Just flew east coast to west. Too wet! Stand up after sitting for a while and whoosh! Out it flows. Go biking, standing and sitting as you peddle and non-stop squirt. Biking shorts are soaked. You get afraid to do things with your friends. The toilet is your new best friend--not to pee, just to change pads. I know! I'm not alone--25 million of us? It just feels that way.

Dear Rastil,

You need to tell us the DATE you had your prostatectomy, HOW MANY pads per day you are using, what you are drinking and when. You don't seem to have URGE incontinence, but rather STRESS incontinence, caused by activity.
After you answer the above questions I might be able to help more.

Swanee

Prostatectomy 1996, radiation 2001, radiation stricture 2015 with dilation Jan, 2016. Have been leaking ever since surgery to open structure. Maybe 6+ pads per day. Not bad at night, only when I get up and move around.

Your history makes it sound as if you've been doing regular follow-ups with your physicians. At some point, those of us whose incontinence cannot be cured need to accept the situation and learn more effective ways of management. You say you change about 6 times a day. That suggests to me that you need to find and use a higher capacity diaper. My incontinence manifests itself in ways that are very similar to what you describe (although it is not the result of prostate surgery). I use Abena Level 4 (M4) during the day and ComfiDry 24/7 at night. I wet just as much, if not more, than you do. But I live an active life and keep my pants dry on the outside. I believe that you could lead a comparably active life with the right absorbent products.

Rastil,

How many pads a day were you leaking before the 2016 dilation?

Was it your bladder opening they had to dilate, in order to insert a catheter for the operation?

Swanee

You might want to try a more absorbent product. I was using the male guards during the day and leaking in-between changes. I didn't want to switch to something more absorbent but I am glad that I did. Upgrading my protection to disposable underwear saved me a lot of stress and embarassment. I can go throughout my day as normal and change when needed.