Toilet Dreams

Archives1

Staff member
I am 56, female, overweight and have been having this issue for well over a year. I have been documenting when I wet at night, and it comes down to having dreams where i am using a toilet or something similar. I seem to be aware that i am urinating and even feel it. I wake up during this dream and realize that i have actually peed. On some occasions, i have wet the bed but mostly its just my pajamas, so its not alot of urine, but enough to where i have to change. I am a side sleeper and think that has a connection to when i dream about peeing, as i am in that "sitting" position. It isnt an every night occurance, and i am still trying to figure out why some nights i wet and some nights i am dry. I have cut out liquids after 7pm which seems to help alittle. I also set my alarm to wake me up at 2:30am, to use the toilet, but sometimes that doesnt help. I want to stop dreaming about using a toilet and waking up to find out i really peed! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have similar dreams usually about 3-4 times a week. I am a lifelong bedwetter and dream about getting "caught" in my diapers and plastic pants. Currently, I only wet at night. You might want to wear absorbent underwear as needed if your wetting isn't to severe.

Yeah, I have the dream in which I find myself out in public without any pants. VERY disconcerting, believe me.

I have serious sleep issues, horrible nightmares, and they are medicated me nightly to stop the acting out dreams, and it has helped, but I would talk to your PCP about this, and maybe a sleep study would help. Also you should have a underpad under you and plastic protector now on your bed. And yes pull ups nightly till you figure out some things

I have this too. In the dreams I am hunting fruitlessly for a toilet. I would like to know if anyone has figured out how to interrupt the dream before the peeing starts.
I have cut out liquids after 5pm and set my alarm to different times of the night to wake up. It seems to be connected with shorter intervals between needing to pee in the day time - I can go about 3 hours. So I think something similar must be happening at night.

Oh almost forgot, my Urology PA recommended a portable toilet in my bedroom. Still trying to adjust and understand that when I come out of a deep sleep and try to take my cpap, diaper off too sit.

I am not a wetter...yet. My issues are urgency and frequency, which have been treated with Interstim and REZUM procedures for enlarged prostate.

However, even before all this started happening, I have had dreams where I am in a public venue trying to find a restroom. As I enter the restroom it is always filthy, wet, crowded, and the walls and ceiling become smaller and smaller. There is no way I can get to the plumbing. Then I wake up and go to my bathroom.

Most of the time I am aware that it is a dream and even interact with the people around me. They will talk to me, but if I ask someone a question everything stops moving and they just stare at me. Dreams are just weird!

I pray that the Lord has mercy and provides you with help as you seek a solution.

I have server sleep disorder and wetting issues both day and night where I have to wear diapers 24/7. Sleep problem are sleep apnea and insomnia and urge incontince too. I use North shore diapers they work great for me.

Have the same issue as nanatosophia, it's got better over time but can catch me unaware, I have found that going to bed earlier helps as I'm not so tired and therefore find it easier to wake

I have been trying different things.. I found not drinking anything with caffeine after 5pm seems to lessen the frequency, along with only drinking water if I want something to drink after 5. I also set my alarm to get up at 2:30 am to use the bathroom.

Caffeine has a very long half-life so my own rule to myself is no coffee after 1pm and just one cup of weak tea in the afternoon. I'm sure that improving sleep quality helps a lot - it seems a bit counter-intuitive as surely you want to be wakeful but on reflection I think that it's better to sleep well. Also I think there is a natural rhythm in sleep where we wake or are wakeful after about two rounds of REM sleep. I find now that I don't need to set my alarm - I just wake naturally after 2-3 hours. Then I get up and pee. Also, knowing that you will not be changing sheets in the middle of the night because you have some kind of protection takes away a lot of the anxiety.

@NanatoSophia I've had the so called 'pee dream' often. As a bedwetter it is bound to happen. Only thing I do not know if is the dream triggers the wetting or is a warning that I am about to pee my bed, or is the dream after I have wet the bed and the wetness of my boxers triggers the dream. IDK. But yes it is a real thing either way.

For me the dream usually is where I have to pee really bad and for some reason I cannot get to a toilet or I am trying to find one. For example I'm in a car and there are no rest areas to stop at or the driver will not pull over, or in a meeting/class/training or classroom setting and cannot or not allowed to leave to use the restroom or I am hiking and trying to find a restroom/tree or bush to pee in/by but do not find one. In the end, often, I don't make it and end up wetting my pants in the dream. Then wake up later in the morning to find out I have peed my bed. Few times I have had the dream and it was so vivid but I woke dry.

So yes the pee dream is a true and real thing.

b47cbec821ead9aff98e49d21fdbeab2.png

I have struggled with this for years and think it may be neurologically related to physical and psychological stressors. I find that if I am stressed or extremely tired that I have these dreams and even awaken super upset with myself because I am typically in the dream on a toilet and saying to myself “ I hope this is real and I am not dreaming right now”
Then, I sometimes awaken soaked because it was indeed a dream. I have not approached any medical providers about this yet because they typically assume pharmacological interventions first. I am thinking of first approaching my therapist/psychologist about this first to see if there may be some further clinical research or studies out there that he may be aware of that could help first hand. I am thinking that these dreams are psychological and so the solutions may be psychological as well. Then perhaps, once all else fails, I can try pharma interventions.

That’s my take on this, have you gained any further insight on these wet dreams as yet?