Tips for bed pads

Archives1

Staff member
Hey ya'll

my father and I are caring for my grandmother who is dealing with Alzheimer's. we have her wearing tabbed briefs during the day and recently started adding bed liners when she sleeps as well because occasionally she'll void completely and wet the bed/sheets. but man we're noticing how tricky it can be to keep these things under her! sometimes we'll wake up and realize the pad has slipped all the way down to her knees. sometimes it's in place but her skin is super warm.

anyone got any pro tips on how to keep these things in place while she sleeps? also, what type of fabric are you all using that breathes the best? and what the heck is fluff?? i'm seeing that term a lot when i'm shopping for underpads. help!

To prevent slippage, you will need to put any bedpad *under* the fitted sheet.

And yes, bedpads will make the sleeper hot, especially the disposable plastic-backed type, which I prefer, because they’re disposable. Reusable fabric bedpads are less sweaty but still add some heat. Annoying, but better than pissing the mattress.

Fluff? I don’t know to what that refers; perhaps it refers to concepts related to denier:

Bless you and your father for taking care of your incontinent grandmother; that’s really going the extra mile!

Hi @snow

whoa! your post is fantastic. thank you so much for the photos as well. i fully understand the layering process now. you rock!!

i think the fluff thing has to do with the material in the underpad? i dunno. i figured there might be a difference in the material they use in each type of underpad. guess we'll just try a few variations and see what works best.

and yes, it's not easy but she's a wonderful woman.:)❤️

@KTrout73 Happy to help! I’m glad you liked my post. Best of luck to you and your father as you continue experimenting!

Is fluff not an American term? It's a typical British word. In my dictionary it is "small loose bits of waste material (eg hairs and threads) that stick to clothes, carpets etc. Or soft light down etc." It's a common pet name for rabbits!

@libbymac Yes, we use fluff, fluffy, fluffed, and fluffer. I’ve just never seen it used in conjunction with bedpads. I can imagine it might be.

My favorite use of “fluff” is when I call my lovely cat by one of his many nicknames: “fluff bum.”

I think fluff is simply just that absorbent white stuff inside the pad (for lack of a more scientific term).
And @libbymac, I think it is an American term. And looking at the British terminology it doesn't sound like bedpads have any "small loose bits of waste material (hairs and thread) that can stick to clothes, carpets."
And also over here in the States it is a common name for kittens, puppies, rabbits, etc., And usually they are known as "Fluffy."
Or even "Fluff Bum!" :D

billliveshere I think we're talking about the same stuff☺ The dictionary definition didn't sound like our everyday fluff.

Hi @libbymac, In my Webster's seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, fluff is defined as 1 :NAP, DOWN
And nap is defined as : a hairy or downy surface on a woven fabric. If it's reusable pads I think that may be what we're looking for.
And if it's disposable pads, I think fluff as applied here is a term from whoever makes the pads' P.R. department simply as a name for the filling inside. Supposedly using that word will induce consumers into buying that product as they think it equates to comfort and maybe absorbency.

Here is “fluff bum,” whose real name is Loki (Little Orange Kitty, who is the opposite in personality to the Norse God of Chaos). I wouldn’t have survived the past five years without his cute, sweet, loving, playful self. He is my cat-panion and cat-ssistant. He likes to help with projects.

264aee69892b76c90881d0c5a63ad559.jpg

@justej Love Love Love! I’m happy to meet Emma! She looks cuddly and comforting. My cat prior to Loki was Sophie the Sophisticat, who resembled Emma 🐈

Hi @snow, It's nice to meet Fluff Bum, aka Loki. A very attractive color. What breed of cat is he? He seems like a lot of fun and I'm glad you have him!
And @justej, it's also cool to meet Emma and she does look like a cuddly companion! What breed? (I really don't know cats, can you tell?)

@billliveshere i'm thinking you're right. maybe fluff means more absorbency. hmmm

@snow, @justej adorable kitties!❤️

@snow - she’s cuddly sometimes. But she is also a moody jerk who will let you have it! She’s 15 so she’s kinda crabby.

@billliveshere - she’s a tabby!

@KTrout73 Thanks! 😁

@billliveshere Loki is an American Shorthair (a.k.a. a mutt born in the U.S.). He is half orange Tabby. Tabbies are pretty sweet, though, yes, @justej they can get crabby in old age (like all of us!). I’m glad you have her in your life. @KTrout73 I shared your compliment with Lokes.