Three Weeks Post-op - Newbie

Archives1

Staff member
Hello All,

I ran across this board while doing a search regarding issues after having my prostate surgery. It looks like there is a lot of valuable and helpful information here as well as many people willing to share their experiences!

A little about me; I am a retired Air Traffic Controller and will be 68 in a couple of weeks. I had a Da Vinci Robotic radical prostatectomy on November 17th. I had a catheter in for 13 days (due to holiday schedule) and am now at home working with PT once a week to increase my pelvic floor strength and regain continence.

I am or have faced many of the issues expressed on this board and am trying VERY hard to not get down on myself for leakage or other related issues. I know it's a marathon, not a sprint but it's still frustrating in changing briefs/pads/etc. every so often.

Probably TMI, but I guess that's why we're all here!

Cheers,

Bill

Welcome and don’t be shy about asking questions or sharing your knowledge on how you have handled situations being asked here.

Welcome Bill! Just turned 62...my surgery was 9/15....catheter removed on 9/25. Still going to PT....still leaking...10 pads a day. Trying to stay positive.

Myron, the number of pads will decrease. Stay the course with walking and kegel exercises. You will change from the big pads to thin pads and then (hopefully) to nothing. You will find that you will be dry when sitting and walking (and most importantly) lying down to sleep(although getting up a few times during the night when you feel the urge).

Hi Bill
I had my surgery on 8/18 and have seen slow sready progress regarding incontinence. I'm your age by the way. I have to think we would have healed a bit faster if we had the surgery 20 years ago, but it is what it is.

I'll echo what others have said. Do your kegels and walk often. I try to walk a little over 3 miles, about 5-6 days a week. You might also hear people talking about weighing pads, and tracking daily totals. Sounds kind of silly, but that really helped me. I saw the totals drop from 16 oz. to 6 oz. over the course of a month. I don't think that progress would have been so clear without collecting data.

Lately, the progress has been a bit less noticeable, but it's still there. Yes, it's a marathon.

One thing that helps if you're a religious sort (I am)...I thank God for the little successes. Early on, it might be getting up out of a chair without leaking. Now, it might be for having a dry half day. I think it helps to focus on the positives.

Hang in there.
Chuck

Thanks to all! I do need to increase my walks as my confidence about being away from home (and a rest room) increases.

Be well!

Bill

Bill,

I found leakage for me was triggered by loading and unloading the abdominal section. Bending and twisting, when I do kegle at the same time I have been able to control it most of the time.

Also found weighing pads is beneficial to understanding progress and tracking it with real data.

Good luck, it does get better.

That's exactly what we were working on during yesterday's PT appt. Next is controlling leakage during a sneeze or cough! Thanks for commenting.

Bill

Welcome and you nailed it when you said it’s a marathon not a sprint.
As was stated above keep a journal to remind you of the progress and if there are any
triggers for not so good days.
You got this and know you are not going thru this alone