Though anothers eyes. Showing empathy for others.

Archives1

Staff member
We never know just what others are dealing with. Often, we see people and think things about them based on their appearance. Incontinence being an invisible condition means that 99% of the time, no one else knows about your issues.

This leaves you in a huge predicament when others who love you learn about your issues. There is a lot here about that.

My struggles are many but I also know that even people here cannot fully understand my issues.

That means that at times people will have no empathy for your struggles.

It makes life hard when those who love you do not understand or even try to understand your issues.

When I started this struggle, there were many tears over people not understanding.

From one perspective, I understand how others feel. Everyone has a million things going on so worrying about your issue is the last thing on their minds.

They don't see things through another's eyes because their own are full of the things they care about.

Once they gain awareness of your issue, the hope is that they gain empathy for you. That is not always the case.

We fight a battle that is won and lost only by ourselves.

I wish that everyone had empathy for others.

I wish we did not have to hide this stupid issue from people who care about us.

I wish that doctors had empathy for our issue and tried to give support.

I wish our government would understand the need for diapers and make it easy to get them by insurance without restrictions.

I wish empathy was shown more by those who should love us. Until that happens, I will keep hoping for a better life.

Buy YOU, you must first show those others in your life empathy. What you put forth in caring, instead of just worrying about your own conditions and over-dramatizing your own case, is what you will receive in return. You must first learn to have sympathy for others that don’t even have your condition before you can expect them to have any kind of sympathy or empathy for your own condition. That’s the best lesson that can be on this forum: humility. You might think you know everything there is to know by staring up and down somebody in line next to you at the store, but no, you likely won’t be able to tell anything about them by just looking at them. Everybody is hiding something and that means you should have empathy for everybody at all times, you should never expect anyone to have empathy for you.

others.

@snow

Very true.

I keep reading stuff others put out and truly know how blessed that I am to have a family support system and you'll here to listen to me from time to time. Even if sometimes I complain and don't take advice enough.

My goal with this post was to say. Hay, I get it that some of our own families have no empathy for us.

I live my life to have empathy and show love to everyone. Even if I don't agree with them.