Things do get better

Archives1

Staff member
I have been struggling with finances for so long. Sometimes not eating so I can afford diapers. But I cut my cable out (for real how often do I watch tv? Never!) I lowered my phone bill by finally paying off my iPhone and Apple Watch. I never used my Apple Watch so I sold it to a friend for a couple hundred dollars (that’s how I was able to pay the 2 off). I switched to T-Mobile home internet and saved quite a bit. The diapers I bought last month should last me til mid November. There is a program in dc called “stay dc” where they will pay your rent if you’re hard up (not sure how long but it’s through 2022) and I tried filling out the application but got stuck so I just quit. My landlord called me and said they would finish it for me and do their part in the next couple days! This will help me pay off most of my debts. So yea things suck sometimes but with lots of patience they do work out. This makes my incident with the neighbor this morning seem like nothing.

@justej

I get help with my LP gas through stay PA.

In my case they look at all of your bills for household and then whichever one is the highest is what they pay.

@justej

Also look into rent rebate. My nanny get one month back each year and almost everyone can get it here in PA. It's like a good pay program were if you always paid you rent then you can get it.

Another thing for you to look into is HUD. I know it's hard to get in some places but I am going to have to apply for it this coming year.

Hi @justej, I know how it is to struggle with finances and I've done my fair share of that. You have really approached this in a smart way. It's great your landlord is willing to help. But it looks like you have taken control of the situation and to quote an old Hertz ad, you are now in the driver's seat!!! And you're taking control of your destiny and not letting anything throw you!!!
I know with these financial upheavals you sometimes feel like you're on a bucking bronco, but you're going to ride this thing out and stay upright!!!!

justej: Congrats! We cut the cable over 15 years ago and never regretted it. Why have to pay for 100 channels to watch maybe 5? And we don't have time to watch, since we retired. What news we get, is onthe web for very specific sites, and only once a day, so that helps shorten the time - no having to watch ads.
Wow! What an unusual landlord! Great that you found that out. Wish our grandkids had that, 8 years back.
Am functioning with a "late 2013"computer. If it works, don't fix it. Cheaper that way. Anything to cut costs - and you're on the right path, i think.
We no longer have a "contract" with AT&T - so now we can switch to better and cheaper service. Good job on that one, too. I haven't fallen for that "monthly payoff" thing, to accomplish that. My granddaughter had to buy and pay one payment. But she makes enough money, anyway. They get better internet than we do, because they have a better provider, and better choices. Sounds like you do, too.
Did finally replace the iPod I lost or had stolen over 2 years ago. But it is something I used constantly, for music and audio books. So your comment about the iWatch is a good one, too.
So allyour ideas are going to improve your life.
You are cooking with gas, Bro.

@ThatFLGuy luckily my utilities are included in my rent and my lease is with my landlord and hud. I pay a portion and hud pays the rest. I’ve just gotten myself into so much debt that it’s taking me awhile to climb out. But Im doing it.

@billliveshere and @AlasSouth - thanks! It’s been a struggle but I’m pretty damn proud of myself.