Thicker diaper or thinner with boosters

Archives1

Staff member
This may be a strange question, but I'm trying to decide if it is better to use a thinner diaper with a booster when necessary, or use a thicker diaper and avoid the booster. What seems to work best for those of you that need to wear diapers?

I wear Tranquility ATN's with a booster during the day and thicker diapers during the night so I can get my beauty sleep.

I wear Depend dryshild underwear with Tena guard pads inside it and placing at the front three folded paper towels which I replace the moment leak takes place.

Seems like I am able to keep underwear and guard shild pads clean and dry much longer which works good for me if only for personal hygiene reasons.

I can't stand feeling wet so replacing paper towels often helps a lot to feel clean/dry. By the way Depend umderwear and Tena guards are pretty thin.

@Damp a very good question. Assuming the results are the same then it would be a question of the cost comparison, assuming comfort and convenience are equal.

Note that booster must fit well inside to avoid leaks out the side. A diaper generally is wider and can accept a larger booster than a pull-up.

In theory one could replace the booster midday if it was at capacity and undergarment was relatively dry.

A good product wicks away the moisture and you should feel dry even if there was a void. Josh has an interesting solution and a damp paper towel will let you definitely notice the wetness.

I have found that the Megamax does not need a booster. I have used a booster with the GoSuoreme when I knew I was in an extended situation away from home.

For curiosity, how is everyone measuring the amount of leakage or incontinence?
I wear Depend protection plus diaper. If I feel that the diaper is a bit wet, I weigh it. Dry weighs 55 gram. If it is 66 when I weigh it, then the leakage s 10 ml.
Keeping track of the daily leakage can give you a trend to see if you are improving.
Now I am leaking around 20 to 40 ml per day, which allows me to wear 1 or 2 diapers during the whole day.
At night after I shower, I wear one for the night and it is usually dry in the morning but I go to the bathroom 2 or 3 times during the night and laying down the diaper does not get wet.

@Leonghitis I don’t weigh that precisely. Since mine tends to be urge 1-2x per day the total volume is more than you.

A more knowledgeable chemist can add to these but urine has a slightly higher specific gravity so 20ml of urine weighs a little more than 20ml of water.

When you say urge is like a sudden stream of urine that runs, compared to leakage which is maybe just drops?

I wear Tranquility ATNs during the day and use Better Dry or XP5000 at night. I occasionally wear boosters with the ATNs but normally I use three ATNs during the day and do not need the boosters. Sometimes I use only two ATNs during the day if I am at home.

@Leonghitis Yes. Not a dribble leak. I had prostate radiation and the nearby area was irritated but is improving. I can occasionally get surprised with a “urge” to void without the opportunity to get to bathroom in time. It should subside in the coming months. Usually only once or twice a day. My pull-up can handle 2 voids before it would be risky, if I am going out and had 1, I would change to be safe. Only have had 2 small leaks with the GoSuoreme where I was “pointed” up and urine went over the top of the padding.

I use diapers at night to avoid frequent visits to toilet that would likely be untimely. However nighttime is also improving. I have not had any leaks with the Megamax.

So much depends on the type and extent of one's IC. Mine was caused by a spinal injury and I now have no feeling of needing to wee and often the first I do know is when I can feel my nappy/diaper getting wet.I wear the same products all the time - Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit - a plastic backed tabbed adult nappy/diaper. They are also so much easier to change than a pull up when wet, although the former would not cope with my IC anyway.

I have learned my lesson several times on lesser products.

I air on the side of having more absorbency than I need because it is always better to have an not need than need and not have.

I was trying out the Beyond XP5000 diapers and the thing that helped me was that they are plastic-backed but have velcro tabs.

I could get them off/pull them down to use the bathroom and then reapply the tabs as needed.

I get the longest use out of my daytime disposables with a better dry or Seni super quattro with a tranquility booster.