The small things... Finding memories.

Archives1

Staff member
I have always had cameras. I still have cameras that I was given from two decades ago. I even have the camera that I took my photo of the world trade center twin towers just 58 day before 9/11.

Tonight I was cleaning up stuff and putting stuff in boxes when I found an old video camera that I was given in 2012 for Christmas. On that camera is a short video of my dads birthday from 2014. It was a surprise party and my parents had no clue that any of us were there let alone that my younger sister had flow in for the party which was a huge surprise for my dad as we had not seen her in a year.

The biggest thing that literally had me balling like a baby for the past two hours is that there is a moment in the short clip were my deceased grandmother pushes me out of the way to hug my dad..

It is a short moment but the only moment that I know of on video of them hugging.

I edited the old 720p clip and slowed down that part and have it set to publish to our family Facebook page in the morning.

awwww.

memories can be sweet- I wish I had a physical memory of the dog I had while growing up, but I don't. but it's okay... she is in my mind.

as is a good friend of mine who I lost a few years ago

Hi FLGuy, I think anyone who has a camera is ahead of the game in that a quick picture later becomes a good memory years later. So you are really on top of things by carrying a camera with you. I have one...somewhere. I really need to get back in the habit of taking it with me. But you know, other things happen and all of you know how that goes! And that clip you published to your family Facebook page will be a great enhancement that will spark other memories in your family.

Hey FLGuy, Sometimes the shortest moments are the ones that are most vivid and the most treasured. And I always get this poignant feeling if I see a picture of a deceased relative, such as my parents. And that's especially so when we begin to forget many of the fine little details about them, like I remember the things they said, if not what they sounded like.

I wasn't happy when digital photography came out. Made my cameras/lens obsolete, new was so expensive i never replaced them. Then they came out with the shirt-pocket camera. Take 25 photos, throw out the 18 you don't want, and no monitary loss. Store in a memory stick 1.4" x 0.30", a quarter of an ounce. Beats the stack of boxes in our closet from 35 years back!
Any one want to buy my Cannon AE1? I hear you can get film and get it developed - from Fuji in Japan.

@AlasSouth I started out in film but didn't mind the switch to digital when I realized I could experiment with taking all kinds of pics and different compositions, f stops, shutter speeds and just have fun playing with all the settings to see how it changed the final image was great. Now I didn't have a whole lot of money tied up in film equipment so I can see ho to someone who did it would be a harder switch.