The real cost of Incontinence.

Archives1

Staff member
Stress
It would be impossible to talk about the cost of incontinence without mentioning stress. Fighting all the time to make it to the bathroom sucks. It is a constant struggle that adds a lot of stress to life and is not, should not be there but it is.

Anxiety
Yeah, A lot of anxiety. I don't want to leave the house most days because I don't want to deal with the chance of having to change while out.

Financial hardship
This is the big one that has come up here on NAFC in the last few days. I feel lucky that I can buy higher-end diapers but it has taken a huge toll on my financial life. I pay $120 a month for incontinence products and I know I am on the low end of some on here but the stuff that I had to cut from my budget was a lot. It puts a burden on everything else from foot to entertainment both of which are big with you having nothing to do and only getting so much for food each month.

Embarrassment
Some might put embarrassment with stress and anxiety but it needs its place. I don't get embarrassed around most of my family or doctors because there is nothing I can do about it. I know how hard I try to hide what I am wearing and that is something that I hate about the embarrassment side of incontinence. I want to just live my life and not care what I have to wear. I want to wear the clothing I want without worrying about showing. But, I don't. I wear it to hide everything no matter how hot and uncomfortable it makes me.

The truth is that incontinence has taken over my life in ways that I never thought it would.

I know there are things I am missing in this list but it is the best I could come up with.

Sorry i have a bad habit of typing when doing multiple things and see terrible typos.

You are so right. Its a lifestyle not by choice that alters everything

@jeffswet

A pain in the butt for me. I get spasms all the time in my rectum so yea, a pain in the butt.

I started as a bedwetter in my teens. Now at 39, I am full 24/7 both bowel and bladder.

Doctors don't know what to do with me. And I look like everything is normal with me so it makes it hard when things go wrong.

I would/will never try to show the fact that I need diapers but last year I decided to wear shorts more if I am somewhere around people who don't know me then I will be comfortable but casual.

It is hard enough with everything else so why worry about others opinion.

This year with things I know I am going to be in more situations were things get stressful, embarrassing due to going and seeing some people but that is what it is.

This is only a small part of life and I want to try to live as best as I can with this condition.

@Maymay941 - So funny! Me too Maymay! I think faster than I type. Sometimes I think that - I think - if I THINK IT, - it will somehow MAGICALLY appear on the page. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I get it. - Pam

You are right ThatFlGuy about everything you said. I spend about $125.00 on just diapers not including wipes or creams. My total incontinence cost is round $150.00 give or take. I figured that people that are on disability from socal security insurance is about $1300.00 to $1500.00 it's just a gust. If you pay out of pocket diapers like me, you only have enough to pay for rent/bills utilities. It doesn't leave much for food shopping unless you have snap/ food stamps. I guess we all have to do best we can.

True to that FLGuy,
Even though it is a daily reality and routine, it is in most cases inconvenient. I am tired of the associated costs of being IC more than anything.
Now retired on a much lower income, I

That's another factor JoeAK. extra time to be dressed and prepared for the day ahead.however I guess it is also a natural part of growth as adults. Lots of lifestyle changes.
Or so I tell myself.insert wry smile.

Everything ThatFLGuy says plus I am so tired of getting up in the middle of the night to change pull-ups and pyjamas, and of changing and laundering bedclothes and bedpads.

abigailbear said:
Everything ThatFLGuy says plus I am so tired of getting up in the middle of the night to change pull-ups and pyjamas, and of changing and laundering bedclothes and bedpads.
Have you considered a tape-on brief? Leaks will be minimised or eliminated.

I agree with Jeff. I only use tab style of disposables. Makes for a leak free fit every time.

I understand the convenience factor of pull-up, but wet pj