The professionals

Archives1

Staff member
Hello All, So many people have been asking questions about what to wear in different situations and how to handle our incontinence during a stay at the hospital or sleep studies. I was recently at the hospital and was not in any shape to tell them about my condition or how I handle it. I stopped breathing at home in bed and my wife and daughter found me and started CPR, when the medics got there they continued it then brought me to the hospital. Now this part is embarrassing to me!! I sleep in just a diaper because I get so hot at night so there I was in all my shame!! My daughter, the medics, the hospital they all were there to see me!! But not once after I came to was anything mentioned about what I was wearing until I noticed I was wet and needed a change. We worry about this more than anyone else and the people we love and the professionals we rely on are there to help us and not judge us!! So my thoughts about being embarrassed are mine alone and further more it’s time to try to stop thinking about being embarrassed about what I wear and time to start making sure my mental health is what I’m working on and making sure is healthy!! I hope you all have a great day and try not to worry about having to wear a diaper because it’s really not a big deal!!

Good points made! It's not that I am embarrassed,but I have not been in this type of situation yet in a hospital setting. Therefore, I don't know what to expect when it comes to wearing diapers in the hospital and how you, a nurse, or someone else would help with your diaper needs if needed.

I spent 88days in the hospital and inpatient rehabilitation due to a stroke. I have an artificial sphincter but was really not able to use it due to the paralysis. I explained to the nurses that I could open it when necessary and empty into the hospital provided Depends. I would usually need to call the nursing station 3 times during the night and request a change. The nurses and assistants were so understanding and willing to help. They made me feel very at ease.

I agree, very well said. I wish I could be as brave. I wear diapers most of the time, but have tried wearing traditional basic briefs at home. Most of the time, however, it's not been very successful. I have had numerous heart related tests since my prostatectomy, and have thought maybe I can go to these appointments not protected. I do come to my senses, and always wear a diaper. Nothing has ever been said by any of the nurses or doctors, but I still feel somewhat embarrassed and ashamed. My wife tells me that I don't need the added stress of the possibility of having an accident, and to not worry about being seen in a diaper. It's pretty hard to get passed these feelings.

My problems aren’t as severe as many of you. I wear depends 24/7 and prefer the possible detection to the embarrassment of having leakage on someone’s sofa or showing on my clothes. I feel wearing the diaper/pull ups as an indication I am dealing with the problem successfully.

Hi Damp, it took me all of these 14 years to sort of come to terms with it. It’s easier today than years ago but I too still have times of embarrassment but that’s going to happen in life no matter if they see your underwear or a diaper!!

Im so glad you are alright now !! This was a great anecdote to help us all understand the unimportance of diapers to the medical community and the importance of the people who care for you.

It is pretty funny though, i think a lot of people are wearing less than attractive outfit day or night when bad things happen to anyone the first thought is WHY did i throw on THIS old thing???
I used to sleep fully dressed on my sofa in order to fly over to my mothers placce in the middle of the night but i fear that disshevelled hair no make up snd bleary eyes i just looked like an old drunk or drug addict to the nice clean cut medics at 3am.

Oh my gosh maymay you are truly a god send to us!!!! Your humor and look on life is so awesome!! Thank you for being you!!!!!

I have found the medical folks at hospitals have been through this and are very understanding. My prostate cancer came back and I need radiation on my hip. I leak and wear a pullup. for the treatment I have to remove all underware. the folks have been just great. Totally understanding.

You are correct, and this is how I feel about it as well. I have been living in diapers 24/7 for about 7years now. I have come to terms and no longer feel embarrassed about it. It is a medical device I need for a medical condition. To that though I have had nurses and had others tell me of theirs who are extremely insensitive about the issue and have even made fun of myself or the other person. It is ridiculous and bs they should know better. But I reported the nurse at mine and the problem was taken care of. I have heard the same happening to others at other places and I always encourage they do the same. But these are mostly regular doctor offices nurses that are like this, I have not met anyone in a hospital or ER that has said or mentioned anything past whether I need to change or not. These nurses see it all the time. If we are to change the stigma against adults needing diapers though we have to start with ourselves. If we can't accept us how can we expect anyone else to.

I was feeling dejected, and your stories have helped me so much. When we add shame and fear and embarrassment to the physical and financial and other difficulties of being incontinent, we are harming ourselves.
Thank goodness that those of you who have been hospitalized/rehabbed have returned home.

May everyone take good care.

Yes Draconic!!
Absolutely demand to be treated witb respect!!
As ive said before, wnat amuses me is knowing they too might very well be in this incontinence congo line in time. Its a common issue.