That new device D-Free: questions and thoughts.

Archives1

Staff member
I am wondering several important questions and didn't get answers from NAFC, nor from the link to the manufacturer Triple.W.
It gets inserted into the bladder. Surely that has to be done by a doctor - at the cost of that.
What about the dangers of infection?
How easy is it to remove, if necessary for any reason? What if you were on a hike in the back country? Another trip to the doctor and the bills. Does it require Urologist and permission from Medicare and the Insurance company?
Does it just insert the small "bag", or is the tube left on (like a catheter)? Or a string like an IUD?
The battery has to be recharged and it sounds like that is every day. Is that battery in you, or in some sort of remote or bluetooth device outside you or what?
There is a list of "conditions" that can make the device unusable. It sounds like it excludes a lot of senior males. Don't know about women, but "probably".
Does Medicare pay, either as a DMD or the doctor or the purchase price?
Then there are those of us that don't have a smart cell phone, and/or don't want one and the prices that go with it - much less coverage areas issues.
Okay, some of the answers may seem obvious, but what do I know? The questions should be asked. And answered.

From what I can tell by a Google search, it attaches to the outside of your body and uses ultrasound to detect when you have to go to the bathroom. I highly doubt that its covered by Medicare since it seems to be a Japan based company and I'm pretty sure that Japanese folks are their main customers but I could be wrong. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with having my info on some random cloud server but that's just me.

I agree about the cloud. Apple keeps trying to force me there and I won't. Microsoft Office does the same thing. Not going to let a medical device get uppity, either! :)

Hello all - thanks for your questions AlasSouth - they are all very good ones! We are getting official answers to provide to you here from the manufacturer of DFree and will post them soon.

In response to JSSSSS, our email about DFree was simply to let you know about a new option for management. As a non-profit, we try to work with companies to raise awareness of products that might benefit the many people who come to us looking for management and treatment solutions. This is one of those cases. It may not be for everyone, but we want you to at least know that is a new solution that may be of help.

Please keep your questions coming - we are a small team, but will always try our best to answer you as quickly as possible! In the future, if you ever do have a question, be sure to send us a comment through our website, or send us an email directly to memberservices@nafc.org.

Thank you!
NAFC

Hi All! Just wanted to send you a response that we received from DFree on all your questions. Please see answers below in bold, and definitely let us, or DFree know if you have any further questions!

I am wondering several important questions and didn't get answers from NAFC, nor from the link to the manufacturer Triple.W.
It gets inserted into the bladder. Surely that has to be done by a doctor - at the cost of that. What about the dangers of infection? Does it just insert the small "bag", or is the tube left on (like a catheter)? Or a string like an IUD?

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write to us.
The DFree is a non-invasive device that monitors the bladder with an ultrasound sensor that is attached with a micropore tape outside the pelvic area (lower abdomen). We highly recommend watching our setup video that can demonstrate it's real-time application and use. No part of this device is or needs to be inserted into the body at all.

How easy is it to remove, if necessary for any reason? What if you were on a hike in the backcountry? Another trip to the doctor and the bills.
The DFree was built for everyday use for people with disabilities, old age and individuals facing bladder problems. It is very easy to attach and detach. It doesn't require the help of a medical professional and is very easy for an individual or a caregiver to use as part of their lifestyle.

Does it require Urologist and permission from Medicare and the Insurance company?
You do not need a urologist or Medicare/insurance provider to buy the DFree. You can order it online from Amazon or via the DFree website:
Link to Amazon page:
https://www.amazon.com/Triple-W-DFr...UTF8&qid=1539029857&sr=8-1&keywords=DFree-U1P
Link to DFree store page: https://www.dfreeus.biz/products/dfree

The battery has to be recharged and it sounds like that is every day. Is that battery in you, or in some sort of remote or Bluetooth device outside you or what? There is a list of "conditions" that can make the device unusable. It sounds like it excludes a lot of senior males. Don't know about women, but "probably".
The transmitter (the larger circular portion of the DFree) is charged using a simple USB charger that can be plugged in at night before bedtime for a few hours.

The list of exemptions is applicable to all users, (males or female). Because the ultrasound sensor (the smaller circular unit that is attached to the transmitter) reads the bladder through the pelvic area, it is important that the users don't have any scar tissue or excessive flab in that area. Such pre-existing conditions can prevent the sensor from monitoring the bladder.

Does Medicare pay, either as a DMD or the doctor or the purchase price?
We will be launching a payment option later this year, to assist with smaller payment installments towards the purchase of the DFree. The DFree isn't a med-device, it is not covered by Medicare.

Then there are those of us that don't have a smart cell phone, and/or don't want one and the prices that go with it - much less coverage areas issues.
Once the DFree device is set up with your iPhone (smartphone or tablet), it can notify your Phone over a Bluetooth connection. This is particularly beneficial as the notifications are customized to alert users when the bladder threshold over time and send discreet notifications to the users to find a bathroom in time.
We're also launching an Android app version this year for a wider audience to be able to use the DFree on their phones or tablets, no matter where they are.

Okay, some of the answers may seem obvious, but what do I know? The questions should be asked. And answered.
Please let us know if we can assist you with more information. We're also keen to learn more about how the DFree could benefit you or someone you care about. Feel free to write to us via this contact form on our website too: https://www.dfreeus.biz/contact