Thankful for all of you

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to say how thankful I am for you all.. I get on here from time to time, not all the time but usually when I am feeling discouraged or had an embarrassing experience with incontinence. And every time I find posts of others with similar stories and encouragement from others that I can take for my own situation too.. this is the only place I can be completely open about my issues and don't have to work up the courage to say anything, knowing I won't be judged or looked down on here by anyone. I had a daytime bedwetting incident a couple days ago while just lying down to put my little one down, but as I was tired, I fell asleep too and ended up soaking myself and the bed. Been using 2 pullups per night, still just can't bring myself to make the switch to 'real' diapers overnight. I admire those who have been able to accept incontinence faster! Anyway, thank you guys for always being here!!

Hello Sarah, have you thought or tried a tape diaper to wear when you are home, maybe to get the feel it could work for you. Many times, one cannot use pullups and must use a regular adult diaper

I'm thankful you're here too. Having younger people involved here too shows this isn't just an old people's issue. It happens to people of all ages and for many different reasons.

I think each person's experience in getting through this is unique. It's not only a physical thing but very emotional in many ways too. We each handle our emotional issues differently, ranging from depression to pragmatic, "ok, I have this, so what can I do about it to get on with my life?".

As I said in a previous post, I feel like I'm a stronger person for it. I'm not saying how I got to be that person is necessarily so great (lol), but at least I'm in a place in life where I've accepted it and live a fairly normal life in terms of work and daily chores. I'm thankful for that.

Based on my experience, switching to tape on diapers will change your life. I started out with pullups too. I think most people do, possibly because they're more available. I prefer diapers instead because they're easier to change. I don't have to completely undress from the waist down. That for me is important. If you only need to wear them at night though is different.

A plastic backed diaper can be fit more snugly, hold more, leak less, smell less and you can not have to get up to change. You may be able to get a full night of sleep, if your kids sleep all night too.

Once you do try them, you'll probably go through a few different brands until you "find your fit". Just learning how to tape them on takes time. I have two daughters who are grown now, so I've changed diapers in my life, but diapering a baby and diapering yourself isn't exactly the same.

Take care and thanks for stopping in once in a while. You'll always find a friendly ear to talk to here. I hope things get better for you.

@Boomersway I have a couple samples of Megamax to try but haven't yet... besides the internal agony of it, they are so expensive!

Hello Sarah, I can fully understand your concerns switching from pull-ups to "real" diapers. Pullups are widely available and give more the feeling "no, I'm not incontinent, I don't need diapers, pullups are only a very little different way of underwear..." and are meanwhile quite usual and normal items, socially mostly accepted, in many supermarkets, drugstores etc.

At the beginning of my urge incontinence I started also with Tena pants, which were OK for the day - discreet, and easy if you ares still able to use the toilet - but a crap if you have to change somewhere outside in a public toilet, have to remove trousers, maybe even shoes... before you can put on a new one. For me the best daytime solution are belt-type diapers (Tena Flex, Attends Flex) which are still discreet, hold much more that a pullup, are easy to change, and allow easily to use the toilet without you have to remove them completely. In the nights I gave up the fight getting up often and trying to reach the toilet and use a full diaper (Tena Maxi), just staying in bed and find back to sleep in shortest time.

Those decisions I could only do after I accepted that I'm incontinent now and - as my doctors say - I could only hope maximum that my accidents could get a little less, but will generally stay in a long term. So I was able to accept that things are as they are and I have to deal with it in a way that allows me to live my normal life as it was before - and, believe me, it works fine! Finding the right products for your type of incontinence on which you can rely fully is essential for a happy life, even if it's a diapered one... And it is essential also for self-acceptance if you partner (as my wife does) is understanding and supporting fully and gives you the feeling that you are still the same, beloved person - no matter if diapered or not!

@Hbic60 Thanks for the product suggestions! I wish samples were more readily available so I wouldn't have to buy a whole pack to see if they work. Yeah, I really do need better protection at night so I need to just buckle down and at least try tape on diapers. For the day, if I will be out a long time, I usually can put pads in pullups and just change out the pads and if they leaked it was only into the pullup.

@Sarah060486 yes, but maybe use them for a overnight when your bedwetting is heavy. I know they have others that will work with diaper Doublers. Where they get wet you remove them and place in another, that way your diaper will last longer. Plus, I need to use a over pants, they are wonderful called Leakmaster. You might look into them too. Boom

We are thankful for you too @Sarah060486.

In regards to product recommendations - I recommend Tranquility ATN or Northshore products. Supreme Lite/Supreme products are adequate enough for overnight use.

Thank you for being a member here at NAFC - and continue to strive to find peace for your inner emotions - and confidence through the good folks here who understand the struggle and toll that bladder and bowel issues have on us all.

Blessings,
Honeeecombs

@Honeeecombs thanks for the recommendations! I tried and liked both the Supreme and the Lite. I didn't like the Megamax though- it feels very heavy wet and one tape broke! is this the issue with all tape on diapers, unique to Megamax or just a freak accident with the tape ripping? They were the cloth backed not plastic backed, so that might be part of it too.. I am trying to stay at a dollar a night so my next plan to try are Tranquility diaper boosters inside of regular pull-ups. I got a case of 100 boosters from Walmart at around $30 so it's worth a try for the price, they say they absorb a lot so we'll see.

@Sarah060486 have you thought about a all-in-one cloth diaper? You could wear your disposable diaper then pull over all in one cloth diaper that would have plastic pants protection and cloth to give you that extra insurance. I use them often when needed. I have cut down on doublers this way, and the diaper doesn't need to be so bulky for you.

@Boomersway no I hadn't thought of that at all! Are they not as bulky over a pull-up as a tape on diaper like Megamax? Do you have specific suggestions? And are they quiet or noisy? Thanks in advance!

@Sarah060486 there was a lady that made mine for me, these are a bit bulkier than you might want, but they were made to put doublers in, but caregiver has done it this way and it's worked out. I normally just use them with a disposable tape style at home. Enclosed is a Woman that also makes them and seems very nice, but I haven't ordered from her, but I plan too. Hope it helps, there are some other options out there also

@Sarah060486 Do you have specific suggestions? And are they quiet or noisy?

They are very quiet. Here we like the snap ones, but wouldn't be hesitant to try a pullup too

@sarah06486 Just last night I used a Snap-EZ cover over a thinner diaper. They are nice, but don’t have leak guards, so a big flood can still cause problems.

If you want a super-comfy and super-aborbant pull-up that is ‘discrete enough’ here is my recommendation:

“Threaded Armor Brotective Brief”

It is the Threaded Armor Protective Brief. Threadedarmor.com it is a comfy pull-up that has cloth inserts and four-sided leak guards.

“Close Up of the Leak Guards”

So you can wear it over a pull-up, use it with just the cloth inserts, or use a super-absorbent pad like the

“Seni Night Shaped Pad”

It will fit right inside the gussets of the pull-up.

The really comfy alternative is the

“Lounge Brief”

“Lounge Brief Close-Up”

These are LUSH! Supper soft fleece and not too bulky. They still have leak guards, but in these there is a sewn-in pad. I like this because it is EASY. No inserts to mess with, and if your pull-up leaks, it will catch it.

Good Luck!