Terrified

Archives1

Staff member
I really don't know where to start with this. I am going to a urologist for the first time and I am really scared. I have schizoaffective disorder (schizophrenia with depression) and I am not sure if my incontinence is connected or not. I have already been to a GI doctor and had a colonoscopy done to make sure everything was ok. I just have bad IBS. I have put off going to a urologist for a while but my psychiatrist recommended it after telling him about waking up at night from wetting the bed. I don't know what I am so scared of but I just am. I am afraid to wear a diaper to the urologist office so I am going to just wear extra underwear to take care of things. I am already on a lot of medication and I really don't want to take more. I just want to make sure I don't have prostate cancer or something. I'm really afraid of being judged by the urologist for wearing diapers. (most of my incontinence symptoms began after I went off my meds about 1.5 years ago and I have been "managing" my condition mostly on my own. My family doctor told me my incontinence was related to my mental illness and said it would stop after I had been back on my meds for a while.(My psychiatrist got angry about that)
I know that there are lots of people here that have been to a urologist. What is it like? Is he going to look down at me when I tell him I have been using diapers for a year and a half?

Don’t worry about the doctors reaction to a diaper. I’ve had prostate cancer for 20 years. Been through radiation, surgery and now chemotherapy. I have had serious inconvenience for a long time. Wet my bed peeded on the floor. Had a depends pad fall out of my underwear in a hotel lobby in front of 20+ people checking in. I know what it’s like. I now have a Suprapubic catheter and wear a urine leg bag. Am I happy about this, no but it is what it is so I deal with it. But your doctor has seen it all he will not be embarrassed, this is what he does for a living. He is there to help guys like you and me. My only recent problem was the leg bag slipping down my leg. So I now wear CUBU underwear which keeps the bag from my leg and keeps it up. Works for me. But you are no where near my problems. Trust your doctors and best of luck. Dave

Agreed with theutz1943 above and I can say as well the doctor / urologist has seen it all before and they won’t even blink an eye if you are wearing a diaper. They won’t care as they are there to help you. Just don’t over think it on your end. Sounds like you have already dealt with lots don’t worry about the urologist appointment and hopefully something good comes from it for you.

I also was embarrassed and anxious about going to my urologist appointment wearing a diaper. But, what has been stated in previous posts, the doctors have seen it before. Since my prostatectomy and bladder diverticulotomy, I have been a little braver, but it's still on my mind as to how I will be perceived. I have even gone to my family doctor wearing a diaper, and nothing has been mentioned. Since my incontinence is so inconsistent and unpredictable, I would rather have them see me in a diaper than wet pants.

Coolwinter it will be ok. As the other guys said, this is his specialty amd he sees hundreds of people who have to wear diapers!
Id like to address your other issue because my brother has similar ones, something called schizo affective disorder. And he has cerbral palsy which causes bladder spasms. He reacts really badly to the spasms, which hit him about every 4 days.
He feels defective and embarrassed, and is quite fearful also. I am on this board to see if you all know anything that might help. But I’ve done extensive research amd haven't found any help. He has a psychiatrist and urologist. For years. I feel so badly for him. He is the sweetest guy. I saw a you-tube about botox injections in the bladder today. Might ask the urologist. I cannot tell how much of his being upset comes from the bladder discomfort, and how much comes from his mental reaction. I was going to take him on a vacation next week,but I think we shouldn't go.
He gets so freaked out about peeing, or not peeing. He will insist we stop for a bathroom. Then he wont come out for an hour. I’ll have to beg at the door to get him out! If he would just pee in the diaper it would be ok with me. But he freaks out.

No one should be embarrassed to see a doctor about anything related to your problem. They go to school for many years and have seen every situation you can imagine. They are there to help you, nothing more. I’m at the point where I don’t care if the doctor, nurses or anyone working with them sees me wearing my urine leg bag. Two weeks ago I’m getting my chemo through an IV while sitting in a lazy buy for three hours had my large tranquility overnight pad in my underwear and my my leg bag hooked up. I got up to empty my leg bag and put in a new pad. Well when I got up I noticed a large spot on my chair, I had wet there lazy boy!!! Embarrassed you bet but what could I do, nothing but apologize. There were maybe 15 people getting chemo and 4 nurses. They were very understanding and told me it happens and not to worry. I still have 9 more treatments to go. I’m at the point where all you can do is say you’re sorry explain your circumstances and try to be better prepared next time. Right now I just want to live s little longer and enjoy my life. In life we all have to deal with unpleasant situations.

I don’t think anyone has more incontinence than I do. Pee just falls out of me, no control at all. That’s why I wear a pad and have a catheter that comes out just below my stomach button. So it’s both diaper and urine leg bag for me and I still can wet a chair. Terrible you bet but life goes on. Fortunately I wear the new CUBU - comfy urine bag underwear- which keeps my leg bag in place and secure. CUBU underwear is available on amazon, $39.95 only thing that works for me. I hated those strap on leg bags, falling down uncomfortable, awful!!!!

I still don't think I can wear a diaper to the urologist appointment. I'll just wear extra underwear for an accident. But thanks for all the support.

Your call but I can assure you your doctor could care less. He/she only wants to help you. Best of luck

I made an appointment with a different doctor. I think what was really making me anxious were the Google reviews I read. I found a better practice that has doctors with better patient reviews.

Excellent decision. My brother and I stuck with a Doc who was not caring, for years.
Not a good idea.
Let us know how you make out. People do care.