Suprapubic with chronic uti

Archives1

Staff member
I have had a suprapubic catheter for almost 3 years. I have T1 diabetes and have a consistent uti. I have been put on low dose antibiotic. I have bladder spasms for which I have Botox injections and severe retention are the reasons for the catheter. I’m not really feeling great about the catheter but the alternatives aren’t great either. Any suggestions or insight?

I have had a SPC for over 2 years, and I was experiencing severe retention before then. I have MS and use a powerchair full time, so transfers were getting much harder. I had also been having many UTI’s even though I was on a low dose antibiotic at the time. The first year after the SPC was great - no UTI’s at all. Then I began having them again consistently. A scan and cystoscopy showed everything normal. My urologist recommended that I irrigate my bladder everyday using a saline solution. Since I started doing that 5 months ago I have had no problems. He also took me off my low dose antibiotic.

I, also, get those painful bladder spasms that wake me up at night. My uro prescribed Hyoscyamine that I place under my tongue when I feel it coming on, and it’s almost like magic how quickly the pain goes away.

The SPC isn’t perfect, but I am very glad I had it done. I can now go out knowing that I will not need to transfer and can empty my bladder into a cup and then into the toilet. I use a flip flo valve during the day and a catheter bag at night. My uro has recommended Botox for some minor leakage that I have, but that’s something I can live with at this time.