suprapubic catheter

Archives1

Staff member
I have had a suprapubic catheter for 6 months. For the last three weeks I have this terrible urge to pee around 4am. I need to get up and walk around before the feeling goes away. The tube is not blocked, I flush it twice a week. I am scheduled for a tube change next week. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had an SP for a year, and also experienced this. It would happen at night and I would flush it when I felt the urge to pee and walked around and eventually it went away. I remember being pretty scared the first few times it happened. Sorry I don’t have a solution, but I did experience it.

I have experienced OAB/UI since because since I had a catheter for a year, I can’t feel my bladder fill up a lot of the time. I’m having UD testing today to see what we can figure out.

My good friend (who is not on this site) had the SP put in this summer. He loves it in the daytime but has to wear a bag at night. He gets up once to empty it but feels the bag is large enough to accommodate his flow all night. He just can't manage to sleep that long.

Maybe your catheter has been pressing up against your bladder wall which can stop the flow of urine. Getting up will change the position of your catheter and release the urine. The same effect can be achieved by moving the position of your catheter where it enters you. Just wiggle it from side to side. No need to get out of bed.
Less likely perhaps, is that your catheter is blocked in the part inside you that you can not see.