Stress and Incontinence

I guess I'm just forever trying to find explanations for why this has happened to me and why it is somewhat intermittent.

I've come to accept it years ago, but I still look for answers.

Another interesting blog I found is:

clickable text

Lots of good information, but I have to say, this forum is still my favorite "go to" site. I'm very thankful for it.

Another thing in the original post reminded me of something one of our regular posters said in response to me. Even positive stress can cause some of our leaky problems. So true.

this information makes me think about the particulars of my own urinary and fecal incontinence. my urologist(s) automatically think i have oab. i am not certain. i have not discussed my fecal incontinence much. i’ve mentioned it to my pcp, but we don’t discuss it. i beleive i have weakened, poor functioning muscles that should be holding for both urinary and fecal, but cant.

it is possible that some of this is oab, but i think it is not severe and it would also explain why the meds have not worked for me. but in my case when i am in a stressful situation (even the situation of having to rush to the nearest bathroom) i totally lose the control. i can’t do two things at once. (though while walking i’m less likely to pee but then stopping, the control is all gone). i try to hold whatever in, but since i also have to do something else, the holding in gives up.

I wonder, is anyone aware of needing to attempt holding in but then cant because you have to turn your attention to something else important? and would that be considered stress? i wonder for myself because i know i have weakened muscles, but i would like to know if anyone has the same or similar experience. like i said, for me that something else important is often rushing to the bathroom. that is a stressful situation.

etamilbus said:
this information makes me think about the particulars of my own urinary and fecal incontinence. my urologist(s) automatically think i have oab. i am not certain. i have not discussed my fecal incontinence much. i’ve mentioned it to my pcp, but we don’t discuss it. i beleive i have weakened, poor functioning muscles that should be holding for both urinary and fecal, but cant.

it is possible that some of this is oab, but i think it is not severe and it would also explain why the meds have not worked for me. but in my case when i am in a stressful situation (even the situation of having to rush to the nearest bathroom) i totally lose the control. i can’t do two things at once. (though while walking i’m less likely to pee but then stopping, the control is all gone). i try to hold whatever in, but since i also have to do something else, the holding in gives up.

I wonder, is anyone aware of needing to attempt holding in but then cant because you have to turn your attention to something else important? and would that be considered stress? i wonder for myself because i know i have weakened muscles, but i would like to know if anyone has the same or similar experience. like i said, for me that something else important is often rushing to the bathroom. that is a stressful situation.

With regards to trying to hold it while doing a second thing and losing concentration. Sort of like when you get home, as soon as you put the key in your front door, you totally lose control. I think we've all had that experience many times.

I can definitely relate. Stress definitely exacerbates my bladder issues. When I'm stressed and anxious, my already faulty ability to get to the toilet in time turns into basically impossible to get to the toilet in time. My bladder just refuses to cooperate. I do a little better when my mental health issues are better controlled. Definitely fewer day accidents.

There seems to be more people today dealing with incontinence than statistics showed years ago.

Is the stress of life in today's society causing a higher percentage of people to experience incontinence or does it appear to be a higher percentage because it's becoming a more "acceptable" subject for public discussion? Or both?

@spicewerx ,
Thanks for the post and link. I checked out the information and it’s a nice site that explains the various forms of incontinence and a way to reach out to the practice for help if someone chooses.