Strategies while travelling

Archives1

Staff member
I will have to fly to another city before long. I appreciate advice about products you like and strategies you like to use when you travel and are incontinent.

Has anyone use catheters for travel? I cannot easily transfer to a toilet. Thanks!

Great topic. How long’s your flight? I’m new to incontinence for a few months and am interested in this topic, also. I’m also very claustrophobic so for me Xanax might be a strategy to get me in the bathroom.
MrCatman.

Likely will be two two-hour legs. And all the time before and after....If people have managed this successfully, I'd like to hear. If not, I need to learn from your experience, too.

Hi Etowah and MrCatman,

I have had very successful travels wearing diapers. First of all from what I have read on here you want to ensure you are dry when going through security. I have not had any issues for myself going through security which I am very thankful for.

I would ensure you have on a relatively high capacity diaper on (diapers with tapes as opposed to pull ups) just to minimize if not virtually eliminate leaks while on the planes. I normally do not change while I am on the plane just due to the washrooms being so small and cramped. Typically I will just change while changing flights etc at the airports. I have only changed once which was an international flight from Amsterdam to Calgary as my diaper was fully saturated and I was worried about a full blowout. Not sure if the washrooms are drastically larger in first class however I was flying with KLM and fortunate enough to be in first class and that is the only occasion I have changed on a flight in the washroom aboard the aircraft. I just packed the soiled diaper in my carry on to dispose of in the airport once we arrived.

I typically always wear a pair of plastic pants (Gary Wear Pants) overtop of a rearz or mega max when flying as I consume a crazy amount of fluids my urine output tends to be really excessive. Fortunately I have not had any bowel issues while flying though I have had some really close calls.

Hope this helps but not sure.

Cheers. Jason

I have flown a couple times, wearing diapers for the flight. In this case, I ALWAYS wear plastic pants over my disposable diaper... I have had disposables leak at the leg bands, and the plastic pants kept my pants AND the seat dry.

Also, if you pack diapers in your checked baggage, I'd also put a couple diapers in your carry-on baggage. I was on a flight once that was delayed several hours due to weather. They ended up taking us off the plane, and told us that we'd have to catch a flight the next morning. However, we could NOT get our checked bags back, they sent those ahead on another flight. (I know, crazy..) Fortunately, I did have a couple diapers in my carry-on case, or I would have been up a creek until the next day!

The high capacity briefs are best. Highly recommend Garywear Active cover as well. You'd be fine with the Betterdry, Northshore Supreme, InControl, or Dry 24/7. They're all thick so depending on how long you're away I'd also recommend sending a pack to the hotel ahead of time for pickup. Hotels deal with this all the time.
Blue Skies!

I flew a ton prior to Covid (usually Los Angeles to Shanghai) and there's a few things you can do that'll make your travels easier. First of all, if it's your first time flying with incontinence I'd suggest you start limiting your fluids the day before, that will greatly reduce the amount you leak.
Second as already mentioned is change right before you go through security and have your medication handy so when they ask it's easy and quick to explain.
Also keep a change including wipes and ointment in a small case so if/when you have to change it just looks like you're going to brush your teeth.
Again, it's not difficult but you definitely have to plan it out until you've done it a few times.

I have not learned how use the emoticons to acknowledge these responses, but I want to say how very encouraging these responses are! I am paralyzed from the waist down, so changing will likely be impossibe on a plane, but the fact that people flew such long stretches w/o having to do so makes me think I could make it w/o an accident! Thanks so much for the tips on products and the plastic over-pants. Will order today! Huzzahs and hoorays to members for helping me lose some of my anxiety about travelling!