Smelly Pee

Archives1

Staff member
Hello All, I have a problem with smelly pee. I wear night time cloth diapers and plastic pants for bed wetting. The plastic pants get a bad smell almost every morning that is hard to get out. The diapers clean up OK. The real problem is the smell of my urine. It is not ammonia or even urine smell. It smells like burnt orange peel or something very spicy. It is also very persistent.
I had a urine analysis done recently and all was OK. My meds consist of BP licinopril and and occasional NSAIDs.
Am I sick or is this normal? Any suggestions?

Have you been eating anything different? I have noticed that some very spicy food can give my pee a different smell. It might be best to check with a medic as I'm no expert, Phil

Haven’t experienced that yet. Don’t recommend that on the pancakes though.😳
Wonder what causes that? Interesting.

purplehairlady said:
Sometimes it smells like maple syrup.. anyone else notice? I don't even eat that stuff!
You might want to have that checked out, the internet in it's infinite wisdom says:

An inherited condition, maple syrup urine disease, so named because it causes urine to smell like sweet maple syrup, results from the body's inability to digest certain amino acids. ... Sweet-smelling urine can also indicate diabetes mellitus, because excess blood sugar finds its way into the urine.

I was thinking about the diabetes thing too but didn’t want to diagnose. That is how I found out I had diabetes.🙁 bummer. At least it’s finally under control.

I have also been experiencing an odor of my urine. My wife has never relayed that she can smell me, I have very good hygiene. When we were furniture shopping a couple weeks ago she said she knew I needed to get changed. I have began wearing vinyl pants to work even over my disposable as it contains the smell. It has been going on the last 6 months or so, I cannot pin it down to anything different, it is a constant every time I need a change..

Hi Wb,
That could be allot of things causing the change. Did you start on a new vitamin supplement or medication? See if the company that makes your product changed their odor control or got rid of it to save a buck.
And definitely have you doc check your urine and your skin to make sure there isn’t something going on with either.
I found the Garywear pull on diaper covers cooler than vinyl. The material is made so it can breath. Not sure else makes them with PUL but may be worth trying.
Hope you have a good day.
Jim

Squander said:
purplehairlady said:
Sometimes it smells like maple syrup.. anyone else notice? I don't even eat that stuff!
You might want to have that checked out, the internet in it's infinite wisdom says:

An inherited condition, maple syrup urine disease, so named because it causes urine to smell like sweet maple syrup, results from the body's inability to digest certain amino acids. ... Sweet-smelling urine can also indicate diabetes mellitus, because excess blood sugar finds its way into the urine.
oh my goodness I had no idea. Excuse me while I go down an internet hole for a few days!

I will notice a stronger smell in the morning but the only thing that changes the smell that I can distinctly smell is coffee!! It smells like I dumped a cup of coffee straight into the diaper I’m wearing, lol 😝.

I change my kidney stent every 3 months. I use a urethral catheter permanently. Before there were no problems but now I get drops constantly, 24 hours a day. That is to say that urine comes out of my penis and also through the tube. The penis is very annoying and also brings me a very unpleasant itching. Someone from the Forum has a similar problem. Thanks friends.