Self Catheterization Four Times a Day

Archives1

Staff member
If you have to self-catheterize four times a day, what do you do when you have to go on a long trip for instance? I've done it three times a day, but never four.

I used to self cath 4 times a day and when I traveled I had my supplies in a back pack and when it was time to cath I'd do it in the handicap stall at in a public restroom.

I would say you cath whatever you need too, I self cath when I don't have a Foley, and its 4-6 times per day. I HATE cathing during the night!

I use hydrophilic catheters, so no separate (and messy) lubrication is required. Pop the water sachet, pull the catheter out of the package, slide it in, slide it out when done, slip it back in the package, flush, toss the catheter in the wastebasket, and wash my hands. Takes about a minute.

@gwillie I have had periods of time when I have self cathed 4-6 times a day. When out of the house I use a compact design from cloroplast. It looks like a pen and fits in a pocket. After use it goes back in the same package and into a bin.

I would recommend taking a wash bag with you and have spare catheters in it. It's not been a problem and I try and keep my hands as clean as possible before and after using one. Hope that helps.

Males are so lucky to be able see where they’re putting the cath, unlike females. Imagine trying to hold a mirror *and* cath at the same time. It sucks! Our hole is very infinitesimal compared to yours, and it’s totally cloaked.

snow said:
Males are so lucky to be able see where they’re putting the cath, unlike females. Imagine trying to hold a mirror *and* cath at the same time. It sucks! Our hole is very infinitesimal compared to yours, and it’s totally cloaked.

Yes Snow, I understand what you are saying, I wouldn't be able to do that at all as I have back issues and can hardly do it now. I would just give in to the Foley. But then they would need to up my Ativan! lol
Seriously most males have easier then Women do regarding this.

laalaauk said:
I would recommend taking a wash bag with you and have spare catheters in it. It's not been a problem and I try and keep my hands as clean as possible before and after using one. Hope that helps.
I agree Laalaauk, I have a gym bag we take with us. With everything in there.

snow said:

I totally understand you Snow. I am a student nurse and I am learning how to catheterise women and see what you mean. I do think our urethras are very similar in size though, ours are just easier to stuff pipework in lol. Have a good day x

@laalaauk Congratulations on pursuing your education and your career! I have no regrets about having done the same (though in film production, not nursing ;) The world needs more nurses. Nurses are the nurturing staff in medicine. Doctors tend to be haughty and autistic; poor at communication. But nurses, they’re the sensitive, caring folks.

snow said:
@laalaauk Congratulations on pursuing your education and your career! I have no regrets about having done the same (though in film production, not nursing ;) The world needs more nurses. Nurses are the nurturing staff in medicine. Doctors tend to be haughty and autistic; poor at communication. But nurses, they’re the sensitive, caring folks.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Nearly at the end of year 2 and 1 more year to go. Xx