Review of Urinary Incontinent Products For Men That I’ve Used

Archives1

Staff member
DEPEND UNDERWEAR
Real Fit - Most comfortable and expensive
Flex Fit - OK
Ultimate (Sold only @ Costco) - Most economical - Most absorbent - Tear at the side seams

GUARDS
Depend - Least absorbent - Well made - Adhesive to aggressive - Most expensive
Rite Aid - Well made (similar to Depend) - More absorbent than Depend - Good Adhesive
Certainty (Walgreens) - Assembly of pad not consistent - Thicker pad than others - Very absorbent - Good adhesive

SHIELDS
Depend - Pad not soft - Adhesive sticks to underwear
Certainty - Softer Pad - Good Adhesive

Those are truly helpful John, I used depend products many many years ago and they did t really work for me then and from what Ive heard from others they are for extended use with heavy leeks.

Can people share their experience with condom catheters - pros and cons of different ones available out there.

Thanks.

I agree with @justej in that the better quality ones are definitely found online. The only downside is (besides expense) you have to wait for them to be shipped to you. Another good source for those better quality brands would be local thrift shops. But you really have to luck out and hit it just right to find an acceptable brand and most importantly, your size.
But if those two criteria meet then you pay considerably less than by ordering online and you've found a real bargain!!!

I used condom catheters for a short while, but don't like wearing condoms at the best of times. All the same, I did give it the old college try. Unfortunately, when they fail, it is disastrous. In bed, if you move around, the hose becomes twisted and kinked and therefore blocked; the hose can also come unattached from the catheter and anything in it spills out. During the day, if the bag leaks or the hose comes undone, you lose a pair of shoes. With an incontinence brief, if it leaks, you launder the pants and wear them again- as we all know. And these things are expensive- it's generally cheaper to wear disposable absorbent products. These catheters would be good if you have skin problems and need an afternoon or even a whole day or two to let your skin air out, but one quickly learns that wearing incontinence products are the answer and are not the worst thing in the world.

JohnAdam said:
Can people share their experience with condom catheters - pros and cons of different ones available out there.

Thanks.

If they work reliably they are a great improvement. The problem, unfortunately, is reliability under certain conditions.

The most common problems:

1) The hose. As long as you only sit, stand or lie down it works quite well. It becomes difficult when you stand up more often or during sports. If you sit, the hose is too long, if you stand too short. So you have to leave it longer - but that leads to the fact that it can either hang on the knee during a movement or that you sit on it. In the first case it sometimes disconnects right away (you don't necessarily notice that), in the second case the urine can build up and the condom comes off. In both cases a huge mess.

2) Negative pressure. When emptying the bag, a negative pressure is created which makes the penis retard. Apart from the fact that such a thing is probably not good in the long run, it also ensures that the next gush increases the risk that the condom comes off.

3) you can't just get out of bed anymore because you have to "unplug". But this is complicated because in the process usually some urine runs out of the hose or the condom.

Pro:

I personally found it very pleasant to no longer have such a "cushion" between the legs. It is almost as if you no longer wear a incontinence aid.

Much easier to use. Just put the leg on the toilet and open the tap. You don't even have to pull your pants down. And the whole thing works discreetly in the park in the worst case.

The skin is no longer exposed to urine all the time, which can mean fewer skin problems.

All in all, I would be happy if the condom cathder would work for me. When I am at night and when I am in the home office I still use them. For on the road I find them too unsafe. It happened to me (fortunately only in the test phase at the weekend) that the tube has gone off. This is then as if you do not wear a incontinence aid.

I am quite active and have found that any catheter can get in the way of movement but then most diapers can cause chafing when active. I don’t like the condom catheter because it is just too unreliable and a more permanent catheter seems to always be in the way so I’ve opted for some form of absorbent product. In my opinion it’s just easier with less chance of irritation, mentally and physically. Hope you find what works but trial and error is how we all had to find what works for each of us!!

jeffswet said:
I used condom catheters for a short while, but don't like wearing condoms at the best of times. All the same, I did give it the old college try. Unfortunately, when they fail, it is disastrous. In bed, if you move around, the hose becomes twisted and kinked and therefore blocked; the hose can also come unattached from the catheter and anything in it spills out. During the day, if the bag leaks or the hose comes undone, you lose a pair of shoes. With an incontinence brief, if it leaks, you launder the pants and wear them again- as we all know. And these things are expensive- it's generally cheaper to wear disposable absorbent products. These catheters would be good if you have skin problems and need an afternoon or even a whole day or two to let your skin air out, but one quickly learns that wearing incontinence products are the answer and are not the worst thing in the world.